Murder by Death 3 years ago
I hadn't even finished the first sentence in your first point when I thought, 'wait, doesn't the Dalai Lama already communicate clearly and simply? Isn't simplicity and clarity touchstones of Buddhism?'

I don't know much about the Dalai Lama or Buddhism - but I know that much. so why is this guy trying to re-invent the wheel?
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Thank you! So, it's not just me, right?! I have no idea what the author is trying to do but I feel he's missing the point on sooooo many levels.
Murder by Death 3 years ago
Indeed, and perhaps I'm being unfair, but my first instinctual response was to think it was awfully arrogant that this man, psychiatrist though he may be, thinks he can spend one week with the Dalai Lama and write a book that sums up an entire lifetime of teachings.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Exactly. I thought about that, too, but then I was quickly distracted by missing sources to references he throws in to academics and research and science. It really got to me. Apart from the contradiction in logic I mention, if he really wants to validate his points by referencing, he should know how to cite b****y references!
Merle 3 years ago
Yeah, he thought one week of interviews would give him simple answers to all life's problems? Which he could then go market himself to make a nice chunk of change?

I mean, if it was that simple... does he think no one has ever thought of this before? I get that maybe he's trying to be self-deprecating, but then... he still wrote the book.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Yeah. I really wish I had read a sample chapter before downloading.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Gosh, the more I think about it, the more I feel 1 star is still too much!
BrokenTune 3 years ago
I'll edit the star rating. This is not worth a whole star.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Even weirder is that it seems to have lots of high-star ratings on GR. Had a look earlier when updating my review.
Andreya's Asylum 3 years ago
That's weird and false advertising.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Yes, it is weird. Also, false advertising and potentially passing off, too.