Murder by Death 6 years ago
omg... that poor cat, lol...
Merle 6 years ago
Love the pic!
Reader! Reader! 6 years ago
Wow I gave this 4 stars. Not her best, but still another interesting post-apocalyptic Atwood world!
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Did you review it?
What did you make of it? I seriously have no idea but am intrigued as people obviously get different things from different books.
Reader! Reader! 6 years ago
I actually had to scroll back through my timeline to figure this out. I had some computer/wifi issues in the fall and took a multi-week break from most computer stuff (other than straight-up work). I though I had filled those weeks in since, but there is a 2-week window in November I actually did not finish. I read it in November! Something else I need to get to...I did review it on GR using the app, so I have something.
Book Haunt 6 years ago
That picture says it all!
bookaneer 6 years ago
I finished it, but I didn't find it any more intelligible. I'm still mystified about whether I was supposed to find all the sexual violence somehow funny. Pretty sure I was. I didn't.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
But there were A LOT of people who were awful even when they didn't have everything.

At one point, I thought there may be a message in that the couple were close (by necessity?) when they were struggling to live, but the relationship disintegrated once their primary needs were satisfied (in a sort of Maslow's pyramid of needs context).

But that didn't really account for much of the other weird goings on.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Yeah, that was so weird....
bookaneer 6 years ago
What I perceived to be the book's messages/themes (I don't necessarily agree with them; I just perceive the book to be suggesting these):
-- Men in the story are universally sexual predators. (She has characterized men this way in every book I've read by her)
-- Women almost universally embrace and seek out a state of victimhood and degredation, except for the one woman who acts as a predator.
-- Penalties without cause or consequence are meaningless
-- Human nature cannot be partitioned into good and evil any more than evil behaviour can be limited to Positron
-- The distinctions between *being* and *feeling* exploited
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Is that a hint that you really want me to pick up Replay? ;)
BrokenTune 6 years ago
If the chicken scene is the one I think you mean, then, no, I did not get away without having this on my mind for the next few years. Eeeeeeeewwwww!
unfortunately i hear "chickens scene" and think of Pink Flamingos
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Do I want to know? Will I regret asking what Pink Flamingos is about?
Pink Flamingos is a John Waters film starring Divine.

From IMDB "Notorious Baltimore criminal and underground figure Divine goes up against a sleazy married couple who make a passionate attempt to humiliate her and seize her tabloid-given title as "The Filthiest Person Alive""

There's a sex scene I think in a chicken coop, and inadvertently a chicken died during/as a result of that scene. There was no bestiality, but there is definitely a chicken in the scene..