Hol 5 years ago
This sounds really interesting. Great review.
BrokenTune 5 years ago
Thanks, Hol. It was an interesting book.
5 years ago
I don't think there is a friendlier part of Canada than Newfoundland!
BrokenTune 5 years ago
It's on my list of places to visit already. :D Tho, the other end was really nice, too.
5 years ago
I haven't been there yet myself. But it's on my list!
Murder by Death 5 years ago
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I feel the same; the writing style is not my usual taste, as it was written less like a book than a really long feature article, but the message and the stories of those amazing people over-rode any literary shortcomings.

I think it's so great you're willing to pass the book along; I hope the next person enjoys it as well. :)
BrokenTune 5 years ago
It really was a great read. Some of the stories were very moving. I think the technical parts about air traffic control were really good, too. A very good friend of mine had just become a trainee air traffic controller (near Frankfurt) when 9/11 happened. It really brought home to what extent people were affected by the events all over the place and how much effort was involved in making sure all the other planes were able to land safely once the air space was shut down.
I'd never heard of this book. I'm certainly going to add it to my shelves. Great review! In the face of such evil, I think the greater good of a world that was mostly united on 9/11 gave me more hope than ever. There ARE decent, kind people in this big, bruised world.
BrokenTune 5 years ago
Yes, exactly! There are a lot of kind people, and yet, it is often such a surprise to find them. I guess it's easier take for granted that people are mean.
Sarah's Library 5 years ago
I saw a movie about this town/situation and would be really interested in reading the book too. I would like to formally express my interest in being the next to read it and I promise that I will also pass it on if someone else is interested in reading it after me.
BrokenTune 5 years ago
It's yours. PM where you want me to send it and I will take it to the Post Office by the end of this week. :D
Murder by Death 5 years ago
It's not just a book, it's a boomerang! :)
BrokenTune 5 years ago
So much for how far will it travel, eh MbD? ;)
Murder by Death 5 years ago
If someone from UK/Scotland requests it from Sarah, we'll wear a groove in the international Post. :)
BrokenTune 5 years ago
That would be rather funny! :D