Abandoned by user 6 years ago
Dead Until Dark was published 4 years before Twilight - so, actually, Twilight would be Dead Until Dark fanfic, not the other way around! :)
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Serves me right for not proof-reading reviews at 2am..... ;) Thanks.
Murder by Death 6 years ago
I was surprised by how much I liked this series (although I do enjoy a reasonably good vampire story). Harris did something almost no other author has been able to do: change my mind. I typically latch on to characters in the first book and resent attempts to change them in subsequent books, but she made it work.

The social commentary is pretty prevalent in at least the first half of the series.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
The characters change later on? Do they change to fit the plot of the books or do the characters develop throughout the series as a result of the plots?
Murder by Death 6 years ago
A little from column A and a little from column B. Some of the characters change subtly; some rather drastically. I Think the changes all fit consistently within the plots and the same goes for the slow introduction of other groups that will have significant impacts on Suki's life and her community. If you found anything intriguing about the first book, I'd say the 2nd through the 6 are worth investigating.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
I'm going to focus on the other "pet" project first. I really don't like series that much and prefer to spend most of my reading on standalones. I will keep this one in mind, tho.
XOX 6 years ago
Charlaine Harris series started way before Twilight junk. I only noticed this when it was made into TV as True Blood. I like the TV series because of Alexander SkarsgÄrd. I think it works because it is based on a common concept of accepting outsider within a community.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Good to know. I've not watched True Blood. But then I don't watch tv series much...
BrokenTune 6 years ago
So riddle me this, friends,......If this series existed before Twilight, how, just how, did Twilight ever become so popular????

I am kidding, I know there is no accounting for taste, and people will love what they love, which is great. Also, obviously, ..... marketing may have played a role in it.

Thanks for all the background info on publishing history et al.

Murder by Death 6 years ago
I'll bite and say part of the reason Harris' series didn't take off immediately the way Twilight did was because Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series was originally marketed and sold as cozy mysteries and they were shelved there - they didn't mix with UF/PNR shelves, or the Thriller/Action shelves. Her Sookie Stackhouse books were put in the same shelving category as all her previous cozy mystery series. This left an older, less connected demographic to discover it, read it, and like it enough to talk it up and spread the word until someone figured out "hey, these aren't cosy guys" and by then the books had gained momentum.

Twilight, on the other hand, was immediately marketed to YA crowds that have their social media outlets tattooed onto their hands. The books were released very close together and you tripped over them when you walked into the bookstore. And no matter what the adults say about the creepy factor of Edward watching her sleep, the fact remains that there are a large percentage of teenage girls who find this romantic (if it's the right guy, implying that the 'right guy' makes them feel comfortable enough that no one is going to freak out to find him sitting in her bedroom window, 'watching her sleep').
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Excellent explanation. Cozy mystery doesn't really fit as a label. Did they change the labeling after Twilight?
Murder by Death 6 years ago
I think they changed it when the series stared to gain momentum, which was about the same time Harris took the storyline in places you couldn't begin to call cozy - or really even mystery. Maybe about the time books 3 or 4 came out?

Also, I wrote that post last night when I was half-asleep, and wow! so much bad grammar and editing! Will fix now, because that's just embarrassing.
BrokenTune 6 years ago