Mike Finn 5 years ago
Sounds fascinating. I just bought the audiobook version on the back of this review.
BrokenTune 5 years ago
Oh, geez. Wow. I hope you like it.
Person Of Interest 5 years ago
Great review, BT. This book sounds incredible, and I don't even read young adult/coming of age stories! I'm going to see if my library has it and possibly look into Amazon-Audible too.
BrokenTune 5 years ago
Thanks. I don't like YA either, but end up with a few YA books because I forget to check the labels/shelve names. I really enjoyed this one, it was quite funny - I still don't know whether I was supposed to laugh at the bits I laughed at, tho.
Person Of Interest 5 years ago
Turns out my library didn't have it in audio, e-book or print. :( I think the only YA I have on my shelves is The Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd. It weaves together the stories of an Iron Age girl preserved in a peat bog and the older teenage boy who finds her body in 1981 at the time of the 'Troubles' in Northern Ireland and the prison hunger strike. The theme involves family and sacrifice, and I really enjoyed it though some might find it a bit depressing.

I've considered reading the Immortal Life of Henriette Lacks too, so look forward to hearing what you think of it.
BrokenTune 5 years ago
The Bog Child sounds interesting, too. I'll try and find it. I need to read more stories set in Northern Ireland (or Ireland as a whole really). I'll check my library for it.

I'm looking at starting Henrietta on Sunday. The library had it as audiobook on cds, so I will make some chill out time on Sunday to get started. I can't listen to audiobooks in the car unless they come in really short chapters and don't require me think too hard. I get too distracted/engulfed in the story, and that is just not safe when driving.
Person Of Interest 5 years ago
I primarily listen to audio books these days and have the opposed problem. I get distracted or lost in my thoughts and have to hit the back button to re-listen to what I've missed. Thank god for MP3 downloads and my iPod. :)

The archeology is what attracted me to The Bog Child, but I was pleasantly surprised by the duel stories (present and past) and learned a bit about the IRA.

My library has the Lacks book as an audio download, and since I'm interested in genetics and medical biotechnology, I've been tempted to listen to it. Hope you enjoy it.
Person Of Interest 5 years ago
I'm having a bad time with BL, so sorry about any errors. It won't let me edit my comment. :(