BrokenTune 4 years ago
I think my favourite is still the one in Thunderball..... "This is a stupid plan."
BrokenTune 4 years ago
*nods*
Murder by Death 4 years ago
I love that spoiler!
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Hehe. :D
Uh-huh. :D
BrokenTune 4 years ago
;)
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Oh, but Troy, the bingo doesn't start until the 1st and I am on holiday until Thursday. I have Goldfinger as an Audible. It's at hand. I'm ready when you are!
Goldfinger will be a re-read for me.
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Sunday? How about Sunday?
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Let's go with Monday. :)
Sharon E. Cathcart 4 years ago
I read all of the Fleming Bond books many years ago. Yes, they're filled with chauvinism, and they're rather dated in light of today's technology. Still, I found them entertaining. My two favorites: "The Spy Who Loved Me" (which is a serious departure in style and narrator), and "From Russia With Love" (I was able to have my copy signed by Sean Connery when I worked on a film called "Presidio").
Wow. Color me jealous, too.

What did you do on "Presidio"? (I liked that movie -- a lot. Not least for Sean Connery ...)
Sharon E. Cathcart 4 years ago
I was part of the public affairs team on the Presidio of San Francisco at the time, specifically working as deputy public affairs officer for the Sixth US Army Band (whom you see right at the beginning of the film).
I see -- I bet that was an interesting experience! Still remember the Army Band sequence at the beginning, too. :) (I don't think the 6th U.S. Army is still at the Presidio, though, are they? I seem to remember having heard they were transferred elsewhere?)
BrokenTune 4 years ago
@Sharon: Wow, that sounds amazing. Was it as fun as it sounds?
Sharon E. Cathcart 4 years ago
Sixth US Army was inactivated in 1995. They were reactivated a few years later (when the Army realized they made a mistake in eliminating Western Defense Command) in Texas. The base closures around San Francisco were 100 percent political.

There is no more military presence at the Presidio of San Francisco whatsoever; Sixth Army was the last unit to go (I helped "lock the doors"). It was an amazing and very interesting job indeed.

If anyone is interested in reading the book I wrote about Sixth Army, there's a scan of it here. It was a give-away at the inactivation ceremony. You'll have to copy/paste the URL in your browser.

Thanks for sharing! And that must have been a sad moment, to be there when the keys were being turned for the last time ...
Gosh, I haven't read these since I was a teenager and borrowed them from my Dad. He was fine with me reading these, but horrified when he found me reading Jackie Collins. Go figure.

I have no recollection of this one at all. But damn, I really want to read it now. (I'm a member of the Massachusetts Audubon Society).
BrokenTune 4 years ago
I think at least one scene will appeal to your sense of humor, especially since you're a birder yourself. :D Let's say it involves an appropriate fate for one of the characters.
I picked this up at library for my husband. He doesn't read a lot of fiction, preferring autobiographies, or sciency books like Mary Roach, but he's rather enjoying this one. It's certainly keeping him quiet.