BrokenTune 4 years ago
It's not horrible. The story is intriguing enough, but I will be looking forward to another book.
Thanks. :)
Why do you have to read it?
This is why I don't belong to any book clubs. (Along with the being autistic thing.)
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Well, I didn't meant to join...
Part of me is looking forward to meeting them, tho. I'm curious how the whole book club thing works, and what they made of the book.
Person Of Interest 4 years ago
I just flashed on the 2002-3 TV series "The Book Group". lol

Hehe.
Bark at the Ghouls 4 years ago
Yeah, this is what happened to me with one my old RL book groups. The picks were not at all to my taste and it felt like homework. There was, indeed, a test at each meeting too! I bowed out after a few meetings.

I wish you luck and hope it improves.
BrokenTune 4 years ago
We'll see how it pans out. I wanna give it a try, but I judging by their previous book choices I can't see this being a long term commitment.
Martini 4 years ago
I hope that at least this is a fast read, and that you have another one waiting for you that's right up your alley.
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Thanks. It's not a bad book. The setting in Malaya is interesting, but it just isn't a compelling story.
The Th. Mann I'm currently reading is more riveting than this this book, and that should tell you something. ;)
Martini 4 years ago
Oh ouch! That says it all! Better break up with that book club before you become a fan of Th. Mann due to their book choices...
Martini 4 years ago
Oh and btw: why are you reading Thomas Mann again? I thought we agreed that he simply wasn't for us. ;)
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Oh, we are totally agreed on Th. Mann never becoming a favourite author.
I am not sure why I am reading Mario und der Zauberer other than I have it on the kindle and was intrigued by the title and wanted to know what it is about. It is very short, and so far not horrible.

I promise, tho, that this is not the much dreaded slippery slope into becoming a Mann-fan.
Well, not Thomas anyway.
Martini 4 years ago
Mario und der Zauberer sounds like a children's book. ;)
Martini 4 years ago
Well I guess Klaus should be okay.
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Klaus' books have been great so far. I also enjoyed H.'s books.

About Mario, I'm not sure, yet. It does have a children in it. I'm planning on finishing it this week - after book group - so will write an update then. So far, I'm enjoying the satire of a family on holiday in a popular Italian resort.
Martini 4 years ago
As long as it is not a Buddenbrooks kind of family satire, I'm curious about your opinion.
Murder by Death 4 years ago
This is going to be me sometime in April. I'm procrastinating and plan to read it about 48 hours before we meet; I'm looking at it like nasty tasting medicine - gulp it down quick and get it over with. :P

As an aside (a grumpy, somewhat whinging one): why does everyone have to read the same book in a book club? Wouldn't it be sort of more interesting if everyone read what they wanted, met up and then shared their thoughts about their choice? Think of how many new books a person could find that way - like a Real Life BookLikes!
This would work much better for me; reading to a deadline and someone else's agenda is an automatic fail for me.
BrokenTune 4 years ago
I would prefer this, too.
I guess it might turn people off a little if they associate it with the book reports from school. I am told (but this could be an urban myth) that not everyone loved book reports.

I'm nearly finished with the book. It's not bad, but it definitely suffers from the "have to read" aspect.

MbD - what book are you procrastinating on?
Seems to me you just say we'll have a conversation about whatever books we've been reading; no pressure on anybody.
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Which is what is so great about BL. I mean, even the buddy reads are no pressure.
Murder by Death 4 years ago
I have to read Jasper Jones. Aussie fiction of course (it's a big deal here, reading Aussie fiction) and I have to say, with few exceptions, I really dislike Aussie Fiction. The writing is excellent - but the story lines tend to make my skin crawl (The Dressmaker, for example). It's got mystery to it though, so I might really end up liking it! It's just, as you say, the 'have to read' aspect.

I totally get the whole 'book report' thing, although I think everyone having to read the same book and answer questions about it feels a lot more book reportish to me. I have flashbacks to Animal Farm. :-|
BrokenTune 4 years ago
There will be questions to answer???? Oh, dear....

Never heard of Jasper Jones but I will look him up. :)