Mike Finn 6 years ago
This sounds fascinating. What a great find.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Parts of it reminded me of The Blind Assassin - except, of course, that The Blind Assassin is one of my favourites and any book will struggle to live up to it.
It was an interesting book, and I enjoyed the concept. It just could have been executed better.
Martini 6 years ago
Glad you enjoyed it eventually. Maybe there's still hope for that book club.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
We'll see. The meeting is tonight. :)
Martini 6 years ago
I hope you'll have fun, and that their next read will knock your socks off. ;)
Hol 6 years ago
Let us know how you get on :)
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Well, I'm just back. The three ladies were lovely indeed. They seemed delighted that someone had joined them because last time only one of them showed up to the book meeting.
As for the discussions of the book, there hardly were any: One hadn't read the book, one got confused by it, and one liked the historical descriptions and the setting in a country that she didn't know much about.

It was odd, but they did ask if I come back. So, I guess that is a good sign.
If I do go back I will need to prepare some discussion points. They did say that they had more structure in the past when the group was led by one of the librarians and that they would like something like this again. Without it there was no real discussion of the book to speak of.......
Hol 6 years ago
That sounds a bit like a creative writing group I went to at the library: a bit of a non-event! A list of questions is definitely my preferred method for a book club, although my current group can talks for an hour or two bout a book with no questions. There are usually at least 10 of us, though. Why had none of them brought along questions?
BrokenTune 6 years ago
They were three elderly ladies. I have no idea why they haven't structured the read.
Person Of Interest 6 years ago
Yes, I think your experience is why the list of discussion questions approach is so popular, BT.

@Hol: Sounds like you have a great group. :)
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Yep. I can see why. Discussion questions definitely seem like the way forward.