Ah, well, worth a try. Have fun with the TV episodes! Which ones are you going to re-watch?
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
All the early ones. I didn't enjoy the ones where Murdoch (?) is on the loose as much as the others.
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
Sorry you didn't like it - the first one is by far the weakest of the bunch, but, I think, if you've seen the show first, you're not likely to love any of the following books either. The early episodes follow the plots of the books, but they totally re-create the character relationships. There is no aunt in the books, for example, and Phryne adopts two children, not one. And there is no romance between her and the inspector (who's middle aged and happily married).

These books bleed Melbourne for me but I was newly living here when I read the first one, so I was primed to see the connections and likely made them stronger (in my mind) than they probably are.

Enjoy the re-watch though! I loved the first two seasons (once I got past the changes). :)
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
No worries. I guess not having another series to get dragged into is a bit of a silver lining.
Person Of Interest 2 weeks ago
MbD had given me a heads up about the difference between the books and TV series, so I'd already moved this one down my TBR pile. I suspect I'll be disappointed by a lot of what you pointed out, BT.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
I'm cool with the changes between tv series and book with respect to the characters and plot, but I was really missing the charm and atmosphere.
Kanti's Books 2 weeks ago
I've always found that it's the first version I encounter which wins. For example, I couldn't get more that 10% of the way through A.S. Byatt's novel "Possession" after I had already seen the film with Gwyneth Paltrow. The differences made it completely unreadable. In the case of Phryne Fisher, I've read most of the stories and loved them and I'm sure I would find this TV series you mention unwatchable.
I've read a good number of the books, and also enjoy the series.
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
I like both as well, but I read the books first - and the tv series took a couple of episodes to 'let go' of my expectations and indignation. It helps that I like the chemistry between Phryne and the Inspector. :)
Person Of Interest 2 weeks ago
Yes, the chemistry between them is such fun in the TV series I'm worried I'll really miss it in the books. Actually, there's great chemistry between nearly all the characters on screen, and I love the 'look' of the series. To give the books a fair shot, I think I'll need to just blot out the show as much as I can.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Yeah, I know what you mean, POI, I'm really wanting to know what you make of it. It seems like you're coming to this from a similar point as I did.
I, also, started reading the books first. I just had to separate the books and TV in my head: "this is *inspired* by..." worked.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
I'm good with accepting that the books and tv series not the same. That was not what my problem with the book was. I just didn't get any sense of time or place from the book.
Buried In Print 1 week ago
So glad to read your thoughts on this, as I was just debating whether to read first, before watching (which is my usual approach). Your response sounds so much like my feelings about the True Blood series and the Sookie Stackhouse mysteries by Charlaine Harris, that I think I'm going to jump straight to watching with Miss Fisher and save my mystery reading for other series. (I much prefer CH's characters on screen as well.) Either way, the stories sound enjoyable, and I'm looking forward to meeting the main characters who are obviously very popular with many commenters too!
BrokenTune 1 week ago
Oh, I hope you enjoy it. I really love the onscreen chemistry and fun of it. (And Dr Mac rocks!)