Abandoned by user 5 years ago
I also highlighted that quote, BT! I don't feel like I have sufficient handle on the new gods yet, to really discern it, but what it said to me was that the new gods are superficial, consumed only with the appearance of things, and they are using some of the old systems as a mechanism of delivery (i.e., the reference to religion as an operating system). It made me think of televangelists and churches that look more like malls than places of worship.
BrokenTune 5 years ago
I thought along similar lines, too. :D But what confused me was the comment about prayers as spam, because if Gods (like "ideas") die when they are not remembered (I knew this was coming up later - the benefits of a re-read, I guess), then is it not that "spam" that keeps them alive?

["‘These are the gods who have passed out of memory. Even their names are lost. The people who worshiped them are as forgotten as their gods. Their totems are long since broken and cast down. Their last priests died without passing on their secrets. ‘Gods die. And when they truly die they are unmourned and unremembered. Ideas are more difficult to kill than people, but they can be killed, in the end.’"

Gaiman, Neil. American Gods (p. 65). Headline. Kindle Edition. ]
Abandoned by user 5 years ago
This is a first read for me, but yes, I agree with you. Although along with the "prayers," the old gods also expected "offerings," so perhaps it is the dearth of offerings and not the dearth of prayers that ultimately kills them? Also, when prayers are really nothing more than requests for cash and prizes, aren't those prayers more like Nigerian prince scams and solicitations for erectile dysfunction solutions? I don't know...
Hol 5 years ago
I agree, very intriguing. Makes me want to read it ASAP/
BrokenTune 5 years ago
Join us on the read-along! :D
Hol 5 years ago
There's a read-along? I like the sound of that.
Awogfli - Bookcroc 5 years ago
Ist that the new version with the additional chapters?
BrokenTune 5 years ago
Yes, the author's preferred text is the one I've got.
Awogfli - Bookcroc 5 years ago
Oh you will love the last chapter with Jesus which is missing in the original version
BrokenTune 5 years ago
Ooh. Colour me intrigued. I read the original version before, but this is the first time I read the revised version.
Hol 5 years ago
I just reached this bit. It was interesting to read yours and Moonlights interpretation. If it weren't for your comments I wouldn't have had any clue what it meant, but at this stage of the book I don't think that's unreasonable.
Hol 5 years ago
Okay, so Shadow explained it in the following chapter. Awfully good of him.
BrokenTune 5 years ago
Good to know! I'll read on later tonight.
Hol 5 years ago
It was only a sentence of dialogue (I'm not even sure it'd be considered an explanation) but then Shadow isn't exactly loquacious. It confirms what you both were saying.