Obsidian Blue 4 months ago
Nice!!
Murder by Death 4 months ago
The RBG book was the title that jumped out at me the most - I've been getting curiouser and curiouser about her lately. :)
Murder by Death 4 months ago
I've sort of been hoping I'd land on this spot since I just got a book about Lincoln last week that looks good. :)
BrokenTune 4 months ago
I'm crossing my fingers for your STEM spot AND that you get to hop on this square on your next round.
Tea, Rain, Book 4 months ago
All solid choices, but RBG wins in my book.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Yeah, RBG it will be...
Lillelara 4 months ago
I´m so looking forward to your thouoghts about The Victorian Chaise-Lounge :).

However, I do hope that I won´t be hitting the time travel square before I have gotten it in the mail ;).
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Well, I will find out tonight, which I will probably regret because I am the wrong person to read horror before bedtime. I hope you get it before you land on the time travel square. Although, there is a Victoriana era square, too, somewhere. So, the chances of using this one are good.
Lillelara 4 months ago
I hope it won´t be too scary :).

In case of hitting the Victorian square, I will be reading "Lady Audley´s Secret" by Mary Elizabeth Braddon. It´s about time...
Honestly, I love this game. I´m reading some really great books which have been on my shelves for ages. And I don´t know why I haven´t read them yet.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Yes, me too. This game is great! I have a good idea of which books will fit which square and I really look forward to reading them. I have several choices for some of squares, too. Like the cars one. Although, one of them will be my holiday read, come what may!
Lillelara 4 months ago
I don´t have the biggest TBR (yet), so for some of the squares I really have to rack my brain.

And I´m not mentioning the incoming Agatha Christie book haul, which is massive. There goes the plan of reducing my TBR-pile ;).
BrokenTune 4 months ago
A massive Christie haul? Oh, do tell!
Lillelara 4 months ago
I couldn´t put any more money into my piggy bank, so I had to spend some of the money. Right? I don´t even know how many books exactly are coming ... about 25 or so.
I´m planning on posting about it, so be on the lookout on sunday :).
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Oh, wow!!!!
I'll certainly look out for your post.
Murder by Death 4 months ago
Oh me too! I can't wait to see your haul post. 25 books incoming... wow! :)
Ooh, that's a Christie I haven't yet read - I believe her only historical mystery. (Set in Ancient Egypt, if I'm not mistaken.)
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Yes, I just started it and it is quite different. :)
Char's Horror Corner 4 months ago
Whoohoo that you get to read a Christie! Perfect.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Believe it or not, I had a hard time choosing a book for "Historical Mystery" from the GR listings. Not many of the listed books appealed to me. :(
If you hit this again and can't find something, I could try to think of something; I read a lot of historical mystery.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
I think my other option would have been a dip into Elizabeth Peters. which would have been ok, too.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
I was just a little gutted that I had already read Tey's Daughter of Time. :(
Elizabeth Peters would work really well, too.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
LoL. If I land on that square again, I'll certainly seek your recommendations.:)
Hol 3 months ago
Jail, oh no!
BrokenTune 3 months ago
It's cool. I have a Josephine Tey that is due back at the library soon...
Hol 3 months ago
Ah, good.
For the time travel - how about Doomsday Book, by Connie Willis?
BrokenTune 3 months ago
It looks like an excellent book, but a) I need to be in a mood for time travel (which I'm not), and b) I'm trying to use books that I already have (either on the shelf or on the kindle)...
Hol 3 months ago
What about A Wrinkle in Time? That's very short.
BrokenTune 3 months ago
Same as SusannaG's suggestion - I'd rather read something that I already have.

I have browsed my kindle, tho, to see what might be a fit (there is positively NOTHING on my physical shelves as time travel is not something I go for...). I'll write a separate post for the ones I've found.
BrokenTune 3 months ago
Never mind. While browsing through the kindle I found that I have Making History by Stephen Fry. That's one I actually am looking forward to reading. :D
Char's Horror Corner 3 months ago
YAY to finding something you already wanted to read that fits!
It's only Fry novel I have left. :D
Char's Horror Corner 3 months ago
I hope you enjoy it!
Hol 3 months ago
Oh, I've read that and enjoyed it a lot. Have fun.
Lillelara 3 months ago
Loved The Godfather. I hope you enjoy it too. It has some memorable scenes in it. I told my best friend about this one scene in this book and she immediately said "oh, you mean that and that has happened" and she has read the book about twenty years prior to us talking about it :)
BrokenTune 3 months ago
I really look forward to it. I'm reading it with Troy, which will have the added pleasure of lots of comments going back and forth. I have a feeling this will be so much fun.
Lillelara 3 months ago
Oh, that sounds great. Have so much fun, BT. I´m looking forward to your updates :)
Murder by Death 3 months ago
We're on the same space - ::scootches over to make room:: Howdy neighbour!

You're reading selections for small town are SO much more ... classy, than mine are, lol! :D
BrokenTune 3 months ago
Oh really. Hello back! :) Have you picked a book, yet?
My other options included Fannie Flagg. So, I'd go easy on the "classy" label. ;) But I do like Wilder a lot and I have some of his plays, which are calling me to read them soon.
Murder by Death 3 months ago
Which Fannie Flagg? I have, I think, two of hers on my piles, lol.

I haven't picked a book yet - but cozies are always a gimme when it comes to small towns. ;)
BrokenTune 3 months ago
Well, I wouldn't mind re-reading Fried Green Tomatoes because my memory is heavily tainted by the film.
I also looked at The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion (because my library has it!), but it looks like it would also fit the task for Main St. Station # 3 - Road trip.
Murder by Death 3 months ago
Lol... those are the two I have. At some point maybe we should buddy read one?
BrokenTune 3 months ago
I just finished one of the most depressing Highsmith books I've encountered, I could do with something fluffy (which I imagine Flagg would be). It's not midnight, yet, so I don't know what the next roll brings, but irrespective of the Opoly, I'd love a Flagg buddy read.
Murder by Death 3 months ago
Sounds good to me - I'm game for either one. I'm doing a buddy read with MR - The Circular Staircase by Mary Roberts Rinehardt but I think that might be... I'm not sure when that's going to start actually. I'll be in NZ from Sat-Wed. next week and I'm not sure I'll be online (although I'll be reading of course). So if you want to start right away (I can't roll until tomorrow on BL-opoly but that doesn't matter), and cleanse your reading palette from the Highsmith, I'm cool with that. :)
BrokenTune 3 months ago
I'll need a few days to order it from the library (usually takes them 3 or 4 days), so if you wanted to wait till your back from NZ (just a little jealous here!) that would work, too. :D
Murder by Death 3 months ago
Ok, let's hold off then. (Don't be too jealous - we're going so my nieces can see snow and so far it's cold as hell, but no snow.)
BrokenTune 3 months ago
Sounds exciting. Well, for your nieces at least. I imagine NZ in snow must be very Lord of the Rings-like. Still a bit jealous. It sounds like a great trip, and you can always dress for cold. :D

I've just rolled and landed on "?" - 17, where I get to read a cozy mystery. That should help with getting rid of the Highsmith blues. :D I'm looking at Scene of the Climb, which has been lurking on my kindle. I'll write update in the morning.
Murder by Death 3 months ago
Perfect! I eyed this book for awhile but then I opted out, so I'll be interested to hear what you thought of it.
BrokenTune 3 months ago
Finished it. Good thing you opted out. You haven't missed much.
Murder by Death 3 months ago
I was afraid of that (for you). Sorry it wasn't a winner.
BrokenTune 3 months ago
Ah, well. Another one off the kindle TBR pile at least. So, there is something good about it. ;)
Murder by Death 2 months ago
We're sharing a space again. :)
BrokenTune 2 months ago
Hehe. How fun!
Obsidian Blue 1 month ago
Um this one ticked Moonlight and I off.
Obsidian Blue 1 month ago
And yes this counts. In Christie's time the dude be a billionaire
BrokenTune 1 month ago
Cool. Thanks. I remember both your reviews, but what can I do? If I made through Nemesis, I can make it through this one. ;)
Obsidian Blue 1 month ago
Lol! Can't wait for the updates.
Yep, a millionaire then has got to be worth a billionaire now.
Wow what a game ! I don't know if I figured out ?! You play each Friday to know what book or kind of book you read until the other Friday ?
BrokenTune 1 month ago
The Friday book is just an extra. It's like monopoly where you're allowed to roll every second day (provided you finished the book from the previous roll). Unfortunately, the game is coming to an end at the end of the month.

Rules are in this post here: http://booklikes.com/thread/3007/booklikes-opoly-game-play-and-rules
BrokenTune 1 month ago
Oh, and if you don't follow Moonlight Reader or Obsidian Blue already, have a look at their BL blogs. They have already confirmed that they will organise another game of some sort later in the year. :)
thats is so great ! But I must admit I am a sloooooooow reader :P
Tannat 1 month ago
Well, even for slower readers, it's an interesting way to work your way through your to-read list.
Moonlight Reader 4 weeks ago
I would imagine that there will be another game in the fall. We'll take August off, for sure.
Obsidian Blue 4 weeks ago
What you said! I need a little break :-D
Moonlight Reader 4 weeks ago
Lol! I know! Plus, we need to get those creative juices flowing again!
Hol 3 weeks ago
Glad you get to finish with a Christie!
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
Me, too. :) I think I would have called it quits if I had landed on another sci-fi square.
Lillelara 3 weeks ago
I´m curious :). How many Christie´s have you read for the Booklikes-opoly?
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
Including After the Funeral, three (I think). The other two being Death Comes As the End and Taken at the Flood. :)
Hol 3 weeks ago
How many Christie's have you read in total!?
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
Ever? Not sure, because i read some a long time ago and can't remember and some of the short stories were published as different collections. But in my Christie project, I'm just over half-way. There are 66 main novels on my Christie tbr, so I must have read just over 33?
Murder by Death 3 weeks ago
I can't believe, with all the counting I did last night that it ever occurred to me to include total pages read. Doh! Great game stats - I too was surprised at finding books I could read that fit those sci-fi and time travel squares. :)
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
Oh, come on! You can't let me loose on a spreadsheet and not add and average everything that can be added and averaged! :D LoL.

I had no data on how long books have been on my TBR, otherwise I would have gone down that route, too. :)
Ani's Book Abyss 3 weeks ago
lol I counted total pages, but I didn't think to average my star ratings for all the books read for this game; and now I'm considering going back to my spreadsheet and making it happen. O.o
Murder by Death 3 weeks ago
I hate spreadsheets! LOL... When I created mine I kept saying "I can't believe I'm doing this". But you're absolutely right - I can't believe I never thought to add that column up. After figuring out the formula for how many months books were on my shelves you'd think adding a column of numbers would be child's play. :P

I might go back and do it when I get home this afternoon. :P I didn't include ratings on my sheet, so that's definitely not going to happen, lol. I did waste an obscene number of hours trying to create a pie chart of TBR age vs. number of books, but that was a total fail. Too many slices to be interesting.
Murder by Death 3 weeks ago
Ok, I ended up going back to the spreadsheet and I updated my post: I read 16,881 pages. :P

Oh I forgot to add earlier: I was able to get TBR age by using the 'date added' column on my BL shelves (unless the pub date was later - preorders - then I used that). That only worked for me because I didn't HAVE a TBR to speak of before I joined BL, lol. Even on GR I stuck so much to my cozy mystery group that I rarely had anything else to read, and I can read cozies faster than they can print them. :)
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
Hang on, you didn't have much of a TBR before BL? How??? :D
Murder by Death 3 weeks ago
2 factors: 1. My reading to acquisition ratio was a reasonable 1:1, or 1:2 - not the 1:10 I seem to be on now, lol. and 2. I didn't know all of you guys!! Seriously, BL and everyone I've met here have exploded my world of books. A lot of books I'd have been too chicken to buy because I'd be afraid I wouldn't like them, I've bought with wild abandon since joining because so many of my friends have similar reading tastes to mine in at least a specific genre or subject.

I remember looking at a 10 book stack of TBRs (less than 4 years ago, mind you) and thinking 'Wow! look at all those books I have to look forward to!'. ::snort::
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
Oh, wow. A 10 book TBR. :::falls over with hysterics:::

Murder by Death 3 weeks ago
I know - my naive self was sorta cute. :`D
Tannat 3 weeks ago
Adorable. ^^

Admittedly, my TBR has exploded over a similar time period, although I usually had more than 10 unread books on my shelves, I think. I liked to have a few options at a time so I could read what I felt like.
Ani's Book Abyss 3 weeks ago
Oh, I remember the days pre-TBR lists, too. I'm sure I didn't really develop a really big, and specific TBR list until about 2011 when I joined Goodreads, and finding books similar to other books I enjoy reading was made super easy. Before then, I was just doing vague internet searches, or browsing the library for hours until I found something that sounded interesting. *sigh* Before then, my TBR consisted of an exclamation of "I'm going to read more books by such-and-such author" and "I just found this really cute looking book at Target the other day!"

Then e-books and Goodreads happened in 2011, and the next thing I know, my TBR explodes into the present 1000+ books that I either want to read, or might want to read at some point. Wishlists at Amazon got added to, wishlists at the library got added to, and my digital and physical bookshelves started bulking up like crazy.
Murder by Death 3 weeks ago
Exactly Ani! - Although even when I was on GR I didn't get much beyond my own cozy group (actually, it and the librarians group were pretty much my only interactions on GR). When I moved to AU I discovered cozies aren't really a thing here, so I was left wandering the aisles of Borders - then they shut down. It was a drought until I discovered BookDepository and GR and even then it was only the newest cozies. Then I joined BL, lol.

I won't let my wish lists/to-buy lists get too big because I start feeling overwhelmed, although 4 years ago I'd have passed out if you'd told me my TBR would be 250+ I can't imagine 1000+.... I think I'd be like one of those cartoon robots that twirls around in a circle, overloads and has puffs of smoke coming out my 'ears'. :D
Ani's Book Abyss 3 weeks ago
It's probably time for me to go through my wishlists and TBR and do some clean up. I'll try to clean out my Amazon wish list a few times, taking off books that I suddenly have no desire to read anymore. My GR TBR list is a different story, since I like to keep a book listed somewhere, just in case, on the off chance, I'll stumble across it again one day and think: "Oh, hey! I'd been wanting to read this." Which is a pretty poor way to track books since a lot of them, I tend to forget are even on my TBR with more books catching my interest each day and getting added to the "Want to Read" pile.

Maybe I should go through and determine which books have been on my TBR the longest and then decide that I either need to read said book, or just take it off my TBR altogether. O.o
Tannat 3 weeks ago