BrokenTune 5 years ago
I love that place. And I think the book will be a winner.
Murder by Death 5 years ago
I had the same feelings about the book - I really wished I had read it before I visited; I think I would have gotten a lot more out of the visit (although I still had a great time).
BrokenTune 5 years ago
Even without the book, I was blown away by the place and could not believe I had not visited on any of my previous trips. I spent the whole day in there, walked my feet sore, and still could have discovered more. Also, it was just after I read Remarkable Creatures so walking up to find Anning's finds was just ... well I'm still lost for words.

Next time I get to go, I will use the book to look for things Fortey mentions.
Murder by Death 5 years ago
I was slowed down a bit by too much non-stop walking in Cardiff and London before we got to the museum, and my back was trying to stage a violent protest. I still spent nearly the whole day there, but it was at a very hobbled pace and I didn't spend as much time at some exhibits as I would have liked, and I skipped a few (like the Darwin Center's sex exhibit that was going on at the time). Did you see the dinosaur exhibit when you were there (I don't know if it was permanent or not) - the animatronic one? (And I made sure I got a picture of me and Darwin!)
BrokenTune 5 years ago
Yes! It was so cool. It was quite funny, too, as I got a phone call from work just as I walked by the animated T-Rex. Well, it made a change from the old "I'm on the bus."
When I was there a toddler started crying when T Rex roared, so his father picked him up and rushed him out, where-upon, said toddler demanded to be taken back in immediately! Kids like to be frightened...
BrokenTune 5 years ago
He was not crying in fear, he cried because seeing that T-rex was overwhelmingly awesome!
From the pic I think this is the one in South Kensington, London?
BrokenTune 5 years ago
Yes, that's the one. :)
Time to go back for another visit!
BrokenTune 5 years ago
I know!
It's a fairly easy day-trip for me; direct train from Bath to Paddington is at least every 1/2 hr and the Museum is a stroll on foot from there. I have no excuses!
BrokenTune 5 years ago
Do it! And send pictures!
I'm trying to find out whether my friend fancies a trip to Wimbledon again this year. If so, the museum will be on the list of things to do. Last year, we went to the science museum (not as good because it needs more explanatory notes!) and the British Museum in Bloomsbury because my friend has an interest in ancient Egypt. I love the BM, too.
I've always preferred the Natural History Museum to the Science Museum. Never been certain as to why. I've never been to the British Museum.
BrokenTune 5 years ago
I love the BM as much as the NHM. The BM brings out my inner Indiana Jones. Once you get past the masses of people staring at the Rosetta Stone, there are sections in the building that less well visited but that contain equally intriguing exhibits. It so big that, like the NHM, you can just get lost, and discover things you haven't seen before.

There is a goldsmith's box from Iran (about 1840) that I like to visit, just because it is so beautiful.

The only one of those I've been to is the British Museum, which is awesome.