I hope for you that it was returned early because the previous lender was glued to the pages and couldn't stop reading, so they *finished* it early ... instead of DNF'ing the book!
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Don't know, don't care. It's mine now - for the next few weeks anyway. I had a look through a few pages and it looks way more factual and interesting than the Kehlmann book. I'm really excited about the Buddy Read.
Abandoned by user 4 years ago
I joined the buddy read group & I am going to try to jump in with you all! It looks like the read starts on the 14th?
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Fabulous! Yeah, we planned it for the 14th because I was only supposed to get the book from the library next week. I think SusannaG is looking to source it from the library, too. Do you have a copy,yet?
Abandoned by user 4 years ago
I am going to buy it for my kindle - both my daughter & father will be interested in it, so it's a good choice for our family account!
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Nice! I really hope it turns out to be a good book.
I'll get a copy next time I'm at the library. (Don't think they have an ebook version.)
Lillelara 4 years ago
This proofs MbD hypothesis, libraries have always the books with the ugly cover ;).
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Yup. I mean, this cover is not horrible, but it is just not as lovely as the black one.
Lillelara 4 years ago
Not only the cover of the black edition is gorgeous, even the spine and the back of the book are so pretty.
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Rub.It.In. ;)

In all seriousness, if the content of the book does not disappoint, I may have to find a copy for my physical shelves.
Murder by Death 4 years ago
Yeah, Rub it in - lol. You're making me itch to go out and buy the black cover one! :P
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
I rather like this cover better than the black one.
Lillelara 4 years ago
Hehe. I certainly hope that it´s going to be a great read, too :)
Abandoned by user 4 years ago
Riddle me this - looking at the book on amazon, it appears to me that it might be a better choice in print. What are you thoughts, since you are looking at the book. A print version is actually a smidge cheaper, so it's not a $$$ thing.
Lillelara 4 years ago
There are illustrations and pictures in my physical copy. So I think I would prefer the physical copy of the book.
That is the downside of ebooks. Pictures, cards and illustrations might be missing from them or they are in a bad quality and if they are there, it's difficult to go back to them while reading the book.
Abandoned by user 4 years ago
I'm leaning that way myself. And you are absolutely right - this is the downside of ebooks!
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Hmm. I actually prefer a lot of non-fiction in print because it is easier to jump back and forth and look up notes and things. I don't think this will be a problem with this book. There are lots of notes and citations in the back, but not the kind that adds more explanation.

There are pictures, maps, and drawings in the book, too, but they look like the kind that will work in e-format, too. Depending on what reader you use - because some are in colour.

It is a big book, tho. So, if you are looking to take it with you, the e-book would be better. If you might use the book to shoo away pests, the print version is better.
Abandoned by user 4 years ago
I do have a kindle fire, which is the one I would use. I am strongly leaning towards print, though. I have a few days to think it over!
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Print sounds good.
Murder by Death 4 years ago
Get the black cover edition! :D
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
I wonder if they took some stuff out for the paperback book. I saw a copy in the book shop - horrible grey pages and haphazard glue job for the spine, no colour photographs/diagrams that I remember. That's why I bought an e-book version instead of the paperback. I too prefer physical books for my non-fiction simply so you can go back and forth, have a look at the notes/footnotes and see the pictures properly.
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Oh no! :( That sounds horrible. I would hope they didn't do that. It would mean one has to be extra careful when picking up a pb and that just does not sound right.
It wouildn't be the first time they're doing this. The hardcover edition of Richard Dawkins's "Magic of Reality" is beautiful, lavishly-illustrated and all -- I gave it to a friend as a gift. When I later got the PB edition for myself, I was sorely disappointed ... much fewer illustrations, and decidedly fewer full-color ones, too -- just an ordinary paperback of just any other book, NOTHING to compare to the hardback edition. So I put the hardback edition right back on my wishlist!
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
That is dreadful and fraudulent - one assumes the paperback has the same contents as the hardcover just not with a hard cover. If it's different, that should be noted on the book or on the website selling the book.
I think so, too -- but it really seems to be rather common practice. I've also run into other instances where the illustrations were different in different editions of nonfiction books ... by far the most common occurrance seems to be to simply exchange color for black and white images, though.
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
Can anyone comment on the comparative quality of the two paperback versions? Which one has better quality paper, binding and printing? They are different sizes and have different page numbers so I assume different size print. The amazon view option only lets you look at the one book, not both.

ISBN-13: 978-1-84854-900-5
Published by John Murray Publishers Ltd

and

ISBN-13: 978-0-345-80629-1
Published by Vintage

I can't remember which version was the horrible one at the book shop. And I really want a paperback copy for the shelf... assuming the book is any good once read. :)
BrokenTune 4 years ago
I can't comment on the pb as I havan't seen them.

However, John Murray published the hardback. I would have assumed they would not have changed anything for the pb edition, but after everything I've just read in thread above that might be a false hope.
Lillelara 4 years ago
I have the John Murray paperback. I will post some pictures of it in a bit.
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
This is one of the less appealing things about buying books online - you cant see them before you buy them. On the other hand, the physical book shop simply doesn't stock 99.9% of the books I buy.

I once ordered a book and the "thing" I got had about 20 pages in the middle with the printing skew and smudged, and cut incorrectly; and pages that were grey and thinner than the cheap toilet paper used in public rest rooms. And the online store wouldn't take it back because it was past the 7 day return day - the box of books had been delivered during the holidays and was sitting at my folks place for 2 weeks before I opened it.
BrokenTune 4 years ago
I hear you. :(

@Lillelara: Thank you! I'm curious to see whether there is a difference.
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
What is the paper like? The copy I saw had greyish pages and the book creaked when you opened it - I suspect the spine will crack if you just half open the book? Does the John Murry paperback have pictures, maps etc? In colour?
Lillelara 4 years ago
Here you go. I hope it will help you with your decision:

Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
Thank you! *Gives Lillelara a huge box of chocolates*
Lillelara 4 years ago
You´re very welcome :) And mmh, chocolate!
Murder by Death 4 years ago
I have the other paperback - actually I have *a* paperback edition, different from the two you listed (mine is isbn 9781473628793). I haven't cracked it open yet but - and I know, I'm pathetic - as soon as the cat on my lap deigns to release me from servitude long enough, I'll grab it off the shelves and do a quick comparison with Lillelara's to see how it holds up quality/content wise.

If mine is missing stuff from the hardcover edition then there's no argument that I'm buying the hardcover edition. I hate when they abridge paperback editions and don't disclose that on the cover.