Ugh. The excerpt you quoted makes it sound more like a cheesy 1970s romance than a mystery ... with that kind of writing, I'm not surprised there were serious BG research errors as well. Bummer, on this weekend in particular!

On a sort of related note, I hope the broadcast situation got fixed in time ...
BrokenTune 4 years ago
All good, managed to pick up a new receiver and install it (provisionally...there are some cables that will need to get re-routed later) just in time to make some tea and now endure Boom-Boom's gibberish...
Ah, it's starting. :)
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Re the book...I wish it had been a cheesy 70s romance. At least it would have been funny.
... and the contents would have been as advertised on the cover!
Hol 4 years ago
Sorry about the book. Did you get a new freesat box?
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Yes. All sorted.
Hol 4 years ago
Ah good. Did you watch the match then? I waatched it myself.
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Yeah, of course. That was the whole point of rushing out to get the replacement box. I don't really watch tv much and could have happily gone without tv for quite some time if it hadn't been for the tennis.

That first set was so tense, and the second was heartbreaking. I love Roger and was rooting for him, but I was so sorry for Cilic. He was just beat from the second set on.
Murder by Death 4 years ago
I have less than no idea about tennis but I know MT was very excited about the outcome. :)
BrokenTune 4 years ago
It was very exciting, but it was such an odd and difficult game to watch because Cilic's nerves got the better of him very early on and he didn't stand a chance after the first set. It was not great tennis to watch (well, not to the standard that both players can play!).
Hol 4 years ago
Yes I know that's why you went out. I thought maybe you'd might have to watch it a bit later than live, if you know what I mean and I was scared of saying something and ruining it for you! Yes I felt the same way. I'm glad I saw Federer make history.
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Oh, I see. You know it never occurred to me to watch it not live... Anyway, thanks for trying to avoid spoilers. :D
Not looking, not looking....! I don't get to see it till this afternoon! (However, i'm pretty sure I know how it's going to turn out, and as a Roger fan from way back I'm going to be seriously disappointed if he doesn't stay on the form he's been showing so far this Wimbledon). Sorry the book was a disappointment. Have you read Le Carre's Our Kind of Traitor, which is set partly at the French Open and includes description of a Federer match?
BrokenTune 4 years ago
No, I haven't read that, yet. But I think I have just found my next Grand Slam read. That is, If I can wait that long. I love a good Le Carre.

(Also, yay, I'm a long time Roger fan, too. :D )