Obi 4 months ago
I definitely must read this one as I used to have a family member of Chicken as a pet.He was called Ka and he was indeed a bit of a handful....
BrokenTune 4 months ago
That is so cool. What would Ka get up to? And what kind of corvid was Ka?

This book has been really good so far.
Person Of Interest 4 months ago
It does sound interesting. I already have several bird or animal related books in my TBR pile, though, so for now it just goes on the wish list.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Well, I only picked it up because the author is local and it sounded pretty cool that she took in a rook. The more I read of the book, the more it makes me go out and look at the things she describes. For example, I had no idea there was a statue of Lord Byron at the local grammar school because he went to school there for a bit. I've made a list of things and places to look up.

She's writing with quite a sense of humour, too, which makes this really easy to read - even for someone who is not a birdwatcher.
Person Of Interest 4 months ago
That's great! I'm all in favor of getting to know your local area better. And an author who manages to infuse non-fiction with some humor is definitely a plus. :)
Obi 4 months ago
He came to me as a chick(probably fell out if his nest or his mother got killed..),so he grew up with me.When I was not at home he stayed in a (really large)aviary and from this safe place he challenged all the cats that happened to visit our garden.And as soon as I opened the fridge he ALWAYS tried to steal something,and when I came home late he sulked and turned his back on me ...
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Hahaha... That sounds fab. They have so much character.
Person Of Interest 4 months ago
Crows are regular visitors in our neighborhood. The walnut orchards that grew in the area have been turned into housing developments and there are still some old walnut trees dotting people's yards that attract them. We live in a cul-de-sac with an ugly arched street light they like to perch on and drop the walnuts from which either crack on impact or a car will crush. Competition for the exposed nut meats can be pretty entertaining. :) They've also been helping themselves to our peaches the past 2-3 weeks. The other day I happened to glance up at the telephone pole they hang out on near the peach tree and spotted a peach neatly deposited on top of it. lol
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Haha. They are so smart.
It must have been quite a sight to see that peach on top of the telephone pole. :D
Person Of Interest 4 months ago
I wish I could have gotten a good picture but the iPhone camera wouldn't cut it.
Murder by Death 4 months ago
If you give me the all clear I'm totally buying this book! :)
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Well, it turns out she's had a lot of birds (mostly rescued) and some of them have passed over the years. However, nothing cruel or dramatic, so I think you'll be fine.

Also, Chicken reminds me a lot of our beloved fictional avian hero. There is a part of the book that I was glued to because it reminded me of P so much.

I've also started Field Notes, which I am quite bored by. :(