Rane Aria 4 years ago
I remember becoming angry when reading this but one of my teachers pointed out that it was showing how shitty it was for woman in France at the point in history and Sand thumbing her nose to all the haters. It made me look at the book in a different light
BrokenTune 4 years ago
And that is why I think I am going to like this book. Sand caused a stir and didn't back down to the criticism that followed. :)
Murder by Death 4 years ago
She needs to snatch that crop out of this hand and see how he likes being on the receiving end of it.

Love that meme though, lol!
Sand herself probably would have ...
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Quite right!

Have either of you read Sand before? This is my first one of hers. She seems like a writer with a lot to say, and not holding back in saying it.
She definitely was (she was a hell of a prolific writer, too). I've read her autobiography (a doorstopper, but an absolute must-read), "La Petite Fadette", "Mauprat", and "La mare au diable" (which I think has been translated under a variety of names; the closest one being "The Devil's Pool"). Also read "Indiana" ages ago and had been planning to brush up on it, in furtherance of which idea I bought a copy when visiting Sand's home at Nohant in 2013 ... only to see said copy vanish onto my mom's "currently reading" pile, where it's been sitting ever since! :)

There's a great biography of Sand by André Maurois which I actually did, however, read after the visit to Nohant -- "Lélia ou la vie de George Sand".

Have you seen the movie "Impromptu"? It's the story of how George Sand met and fell in love with Frédéric Chopin ... in parts, laugh-out-loud funny, not half as soppy as the subject would make you think, and with an absolutely smashing performance by Judy Davis as Sand ... she really does make the woman come alive. (Chopin, btw, is played by Hugh Grant -- I'm not a fan of everything he's done / or does, but this is hands-down one of my favorite performances of his.)
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Ah, much to look into! :) Thanks for all the recs.

As for Impromptu, I haven't seen it. The Hugh Grant thing may have something to do with it. :)
I totally get that. Chopin -- as portrayed in the movie -- is the perfect role for him, though.

And then there's also Emma Thompson -- in a hilarious supporting part that she milks for all it's worth. And Julian Sands, Bernadette Peters, Mandy Patinkin, Elizabeth Spriggs, and Anna Massey ... :D

Here's my review: https://themisathena.wordpress.com/2016/07/05/impromptu/
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Thanks for the link. Ok, the film looks a lot better now - I will keep an eye open for it. Also, Julian Sands as Liszt...yay! :D

Actually, the reason Indiana came up was because I am planning a trip to Mallorca and am looking to visit some of the locations of Sand's and Chopin's stay there. :) It is likely that I will take A Winter in Mallorca with me - or at least read before the trip as it seems that Sand was rather harsh about the island.
Murder by Death 4 years ago
I have not yet read any Sands, and to be honest (this won't surprise you), after that scene quoted above, I won't look at it unless I know it's a book without any animal cruelty. I can't help it sneaking into my reads once in awhile, but I'll avoid it if I know it's there. :)

The writing style apart from that, and the suggestion of humour, does sound very appealing though.
@BT: Well, the weather was crappy, Chopin was ill with tuberculosis, the locals didn't like them ...

@MbD: "Indiana" was one of Sand's earliest works, and like Elizabeth von Arnim's "Vera" was a thinly-veiled reaction to / comment on her failed marriage. Agreed about the scene quoted by BT -- and the fact that Sand herself loved animals makes that scene even more meaningful in the context of the novel. Her tone can be fairly melodramatic at times; that's certainly true in "Indiana" ...
BrokenTune 4 years ago
@MbD: There hasn't been anything about animals since. Two pages after the above, Colonel Dalmare set his mind on shooting a poacher - just because he could... So, we're back to humans it seems. There is a strong sense of wtf-ery in this book so far, which makes the highly dramatic quite farcical.

@TA: ...plenty of reasons then. ;)