Char's Horror Corner 3 months ago
Awww, I bummed!
BrokenTune 3 months ago
Me, too. :(

I'm so annoyed with Taylor over that ending...
Tigus 3 months ago
yah, that's a shame, but I could see it coming from your previous updates. I liked it.
BrokenTune 3 months ago
Is there any gore in The Tokyo Zodiac Murders?
Tigus 3 months ago
um, kind of. dismembered corpses are found, and clues emerge from the details. I mean, Obsidian just read it so she'll have clearer memories, but I don't remember graphic descriptions centered on things like HOW those bodies got made that way. it's not a cozy, I can tell you that. I do not think of it as a gory book, in a gratuitous sense, but, um, the corpses are found in pieces, and are described. I think you'd like the puzzle--puzzles!--and I don't think of content as nauseating, designed to sicken or shock, if you see what I'm getting at.
BrokenTune 3 months ago
Thanks. I can do forensics, but not descriptions of the how-as-it-happens which are added for mere shock-value.
Tigus 3 months ago
yeah, I would say forensic details--even then, some of the bodies are more like skeletons--but I don't recall scenes (even during all the reveals at the end) y'know, where you have to worry about a guy going into a bathroom with a full garbage bag and a saw, like a Horror novel. I think you should give it a shot, but who knows.
BrokenTune 3 months ago
Thanks Tigus. I've been looking forward to that one, but just wanted to make sure.
Gore doesn't both me but I'm sorry the ending ruined it for you!
Person Of Interest 3 months ago
Sorry the ending ruined it for you but good to have someone who's not a fan of horror weigh in.
BrokenTune 3 months ago
It's the gore factor that makes me hesitate before picking up anything in the "horror" category. The problem is, I quite like dark suspense, and I really don't want to dismiss a whole genre when I know that there are some "horror" books I positively love (*side-glance at at Shirley Jackson*). I am also quite fond of the really bad horror books that make you laugh...like Jaws or last year's craptastic pick of Jogger's Moon.
Lillelara 3 months ago
I´m so sorry that the ending ruined it for you :(. But if you don´t like gore, then the ending is quite a difficult one.

Speaking of gore, I just finished Reliq and that book is incredibly gory. So you might give that one a pass, even though I´m not sure if it would fit unto your "really bad horror books" category.
BrokenTune 3 months ago
Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to not pick that one up. :)
Person Of Interest 3 months ago
The body count in Relic is high and grisly. I'd slot it into science fiction type horror, but all the mutilated bodies didn't freak me out like usual. The suspense of unraveling what's going on, the cool (imo) museum setting, the anthropology and genetic premise, the characters and action-packed fast pacing got me past the gore. And there's a twist. It was good, edge-of-your-seat escapist entertainment.