Oooh, excellent choice -- well, judging by the movie, and of course I'm not talking about cinematic quality. One of the first Wallace movie adaptations I was actually able to sit through as a child ...
BrokenTune 2 months ago
I love the black and white ones - the later ones suffered greatly from that late 60s-wtf-ery. I have all of them on dvd, which will obviously accompany reading the story. I'm keen to see where the story differs from the film.
I prefer the b&w ones as well. True to Wallace or not, they're worth watching for Eddie Ahrendt and Klaus Kinski alone! And some of them, like The Black Abbot, had genuinely creepy scenes, too.
BrokenTune 2 months ago
My library also has this very beautiful hb edition (reprint) of The Terror (I think) which just had to come home with me on my last visit.

There are quite a few of his books I want to read The Black Abbot is another one. And I'll of course still be looking to read The Fellowship of the Frog.
You could read The Hobbit!
BrokenTune 2 months ago
That is not even funny...but I did consider LOTR, which I DNF'd with a vengeance precisely because of the never-ending description of woods.
I've never heard that particular criticism of it, before!
BrokenTune 2 months ago
Ah, there is a first time for everything it appears. ;)
Lillelara 2 months ago
"Hallo! Hier spricht Edgar Wallace" ... As a kid I was obsessed with the movies, even though they were incredibly cheesy :). I´m looking forward to your thoughts about the book.
BrokenTune 2 months ago
Hehe. They are cheesy, but they are the sort of film that is just nice to stick on when off sick and you're wrapped up in a blanket with a hot drink and too braindead to read. :)
Lillelara 2 months ago