Tigus 2 months ago
you blew off Tokyo Zodiac Murders for...for Sherlock Holmes?!

no, actually, wait, that makes perfect sense. any sane person would...I mean, if they didn't know how good..and...I mean, Sherlock, Stephen Fry, completely understandable, how do you say no to...oh whatever! do what you want. you've got Death Of An Airman going, plus the Martin Edwards book--fine, I'll be nice.
BrokenTune 2 months ago
Postponed, not abandoned! Surely, the book will fit another square?
Tigus 2 months ago
perhaps the Snubbed Diverse Voices square.
BrokenTune 2 months ago
Snubbed? Why snubbed?
Moonlight Reader 2 months ago
I am listening to this same audiobook & am part way through A Study in Scarlet (not my favorite Holmes, btw). Stephen Fry is an amazing narrator, however!
BrokenTune 2 months ago
I hear you on Study and on Fry. I think this time (with Fry reading) was the first time I enjoyed Study in Scarlet. Which part are you up to?
Moonlight Reader 2 months ago
We're in flight from the Mormons. This is probably the third, maybe even fourth, time I've read this one. I am always sort of astounded at how unsparingly brutal (and yet accurate) Doyle was towards the early Mormon power structure in SLC.
BrokenTune 2 months ago
Brutal indeed! And in Mrs Beeton's Christmas Annual!!! LoL. Of all the Holmes stories, I find this one the scariest, probably because it is accurate in its brutality.
Murder by Death 2 months ago
For me it was Valley of Fear - the Freemasons/Scourers... yikes. I found that way more brutal than SIS; although I agree that SIS is not my favourite Holmes story either - it feels like it drags.
Person Of Interest 2 months ago
I've got both the Fry and Vance versions of The Complete Sherlock Holmes, plus a third audio of The Sign of Four narrated by Michael Page. Apparently I was stockpiling for a rainy day and figured I couldn't have too much of a good thing. :D And of course I haven't listened to any of them yet. lol
BrokenTune 2 months ago
As much as I love the Fry version, the Vance version is also very good. I also have both. I regret nothing. ;D
Murder by Death 2 months ago
If you decide to listen to the Fry version, don't think you can just listen to one or a couple of stories - I thought that and 3 months later I'm still listening to it because I want to hear them ALL. lol...

(The Vance version is probably like that too - but I don't have that one. I thought I had too many editions of SH already but you too are making me look like a amateur, lol!)
Ani's Book Abyss 2 months ago
Unfortunately, while I know Holmes is a classic among mystery readers, I'd never actually read any of them. Though on a whim, I picked up The Complete Sherlock Holmes, narrated by Vance, mainly because of Vance, and did listen to some of the stories. They were all pretty excellent, though I don't know if it has more to do with the writing, the characters, or Vance's narration...
Person Of Interest 2 months ago
@MbD: I'll keep that in mind. :) My audiobook buying has gotten a little out of control, but I know I can stop if I really want to. Honest, I can. :D

@Ani: Simon Vance is fabulous, isn't he? And he's narrated sooo many books!
Ani's Book Abyss 2 months ago
"but I know I can stop if I really want to. Honest, I can." -- said every bookworm before walking into a bookstore. =P

And yes, Simon Vance is so excellent! I have 'A Christmas Carol' narrated by him and loved it!
BrokenTune 2 months ago
LoL. Yeah, I'm sure it is easy to stop buying books, but why would one want to.
Ani's Book Abyss 2 months ago
This is amusing considering the cheek at Holmes that the main character in 'Zodiac Murders' makes at some point in the book. =P And his friend, the narrator, gets all riled up at how this guy just blows off Holmes. hehe

Though I hope you get to reading it soon anyway. I just finished 'Zodiac Murders' and it's very engrossing!!
BrokenTune 2 months ago
Honestly, guys, Zodiac Murders is still on the list, it just isn't happening this week. :)
Ani's Book Abyss 2 months ago
I totally didn't mean to imply that you weren't going to read Zodiac Murders! Sorry about that! I reread my comment and realized that's how it sounds. I'm not even sure what I meant to say, except maybe "hope you get a chance to read it soon and that you enjoy it," or something like that.

Your post just made me think of the reference to Holmes in the book, as I mentioned, there's a scene where the main character is talking crap about Sherlock Holmes... but I can see now how that would sound like I'm likening your book switch to blowing off said book. Yikes! Really not what I meant to imply! I'll stop talking now. O.o Sorry! I suck at comments. -_-
BrokenTune 2 months ago
LoL. No worries. Please, I didn't understand your post like that, but it had occurred to me that I had said I was going to read it and then seemed to opt out. And that was not the intention. :)

And about the Holmes comment - I am kinda looking forward to reading the Holmes slagging. Bring it on.