BrokenTune 2 months ago
Mmmm, chocolate. Thank you! :)
You're welcome! :)
Familiar Diversions 2 months ago
I'm now morbidly curious. My library has an anthology with The Terrapin in it. I may see if I can get to that this weekend...
BrokenTune 2 months ago
Oooh, which collection is it? I also recommend The Snail-Watcher. ;)
Familiar Diversions 2 months ago
The Snail-Watcher and Other Stories. My library literally only owns two of her books, this one and The Boy Who Followed Ripley. To be fair, it's an academic library and it's more likely to have analyses of an author's works than the works themselves.
BrokenTune 2 months ago
The Boy Who Followed Ripley was disappointing, but I hope you like the shot stories. It sounds like it may be an alternative title for Eleven as The Snail-Watcher is the first story in the book.
Lillelara 2 months ago
Highsmith is the queen of messed up, isn´t she? I´m curious, too. This short story does sound like it´s even more harrowing than her novels.

Shoving a big box of chocolate your way, BT :)
BrokenTune 2 months ago
She is the Queen of Messed Up. That should be her official title, if it isn't already. :) So far, this collection has been excellent! She certainly was one writer who could write well in both the novel and short story formats.
Lillelara 2 months ago
Yeah, I guess it should be ;). You definitely sold me on this short story collection. And I´m not a big fan of short stories.
BrokenTune 2 months ago
You know you want to read this for the snail stories (yes, plural!) alone. ;D
Lillelara 2 months ago
Hehe, Of course ;D. And what? There is more than one snail story in this collection? I´m still baffled by her peculiar obsession.
BrokenTune 2 months ago
Well, the next story I am about to read (The Quest for Blank Claveringi) starts with the following paragraphs:

"Avery Clavering, a professor of zoology at a California university, heard of the giant snails of Kuwa in a footnote of a book on molluscs. His sabbatical had been coming up in three months when he read the few lines:

It is said by Matusas Islands natives that snails even larger than this exist on the uninhabited island of Kuwa, twenty-five miles distant from the Matusas. The Matusans claim that these snails have a shell diameter of twenty feet and that they are man-eating. Dr Wm J. Stead, now living in the Matusas, visited Kuwa in 1949 without finding any snails at all, but the legend persists."

Yay! Man-eating snails.
You're welcome. ;D

Linda Hilton 2 months ago
That chuckle just made my day!
Lillelara 2 months ago
Whoa, man-eating snails?

Since I´m reading Jurassic Park at the moment, there is only one thing left to say: Sorry, Michael Crichton, you an your dinosaurs are so lame ;D.

BrokenTune 2 months ago
Hehe.
BrokenTune 2 months ago
Ok, I finished the story. Those velociraptors in Jurassic Park got nothing on that snail!
Person Of Interest 2 months ago
Bring on the truck loads of salt or fill the swimming pool with beer. :P
Lillelara 2 months ago
Lol! Okay, I have to take a look if I can find a physical copy of this book while I´m in London. I have to read it soon.
BrokenTune 2 months ago
You're going to London soon? How fun! :D If you find the book, I hope you'll like it.
Oooh, enjoy your trip to London, Lillelara!
Lillelara 2 months ago
Thank you :D. I will be staying for a week from October 30th to November 3th. I´m planning on watching The Mousetrap. Besides visiting a few bookshops, of course ;)
BrokenTune 2 months ago
Are you stopping by Persephone's?

Have fun with The Mousetrap, too! :D
Pictures of your haul(s), please!

Is "The Mousetrap" still playing at St. Martin's Theatre? That's where I saw it, a little over a decade ago. (I decided to use the ticket stubs from back then as my bookmarks for the Detection Club / British Library / Classic Crime books I'm reading, btw -- they seemed rather an à propos choice.)
Lillelara 2 months ago
Foyles, Daunt Books and Persephone Books are on my immediate to visit list. I´m not sure how much time I will have for bookshopping besides the sightseeing, though, so I will have to see how many places I can visit. And of course I will make some pictures of my book haul ;)

The Mousetrap is still playing at St. Martin´s Theatre. Love your idea with the ticket stubs, Themis :)
BrokenTune 2 months ago
That's an excellent line-up!