Murder by Death 1 month ago
I've never thought about it, but I imagine travelling as a vegetarian can be challenging; especially if there's a language barrier. On the other hand, sticking with a vegetarian diet would be a way to combat some of my anxiety about traveling through Asia (not because of any cliches but just because I'm a big giant wuss about what part the protein comes from).
Murder by Death 1 month ago
Which is also why I tend to stay away from the dumplings; although I've had bao once before and it was amazing!
BrokenTune 1 month ago
It can be challenging, tho, Asia is probably easier than, say, erm - I'm gonna get stick for this - Paris, which really sucks for vegetarians. Not just my experience, either (another friend struggled there, too).
At least the concept of vegetarian cooking is alive and well in parts that has either Indian or Buddhist influences - the only problem being that in South-East Asia food may be fried in or flavoured with fish oil or shrimp or oyster sauce, etc. And of course, friends with language skills come in there. The other thing is that Thailand and Singapore, for example, are different in their approach to food from Malaysia. As much as I like Malaysia, I am not a fan of a cuisine that seems to be based on deep frying everything or using a lot of refined sugar - or both.
Hong Kong, on the other hand, seems to be great at veggie and even vegan food. Friends of mine (both strict vegans) were totally blown away by HK.

I totally recommend the red bean paste pao/bao/pau (whatever...) as a staple for travelling in South-East Asia. ;D
BrokenTune 1 month ago
I should add that there is no problem with food choices in the more "Western standard" type restaurants. They are very good at offering at least one veggie choice (and it is not even always pasta ;) ). However, we mostly frequented the hawker stalls, street food vendors, and typical "road side" cafes that the locals frequent. Let me put it this way... I was usually the only "Westerner" in there.
Murder by Death 1 month ago
I can imagine it would be hard to avoid things like duck fat in Paris. And butter. Do they even know how to cook without butter? (I totally kid.)

My small exposure to Asian cuisine from the expat communities here have me loving the vegetarian stir fries, although as I'm not a vegetarian myself, I don't ever question what they use to cook everything in - I see rice and veggies and think "oh - vegetarian", like any naive eater does. :)
Murder by Death 1 month ago
I have a very good friend from high school who is currently living in South Korea, and she's been posting all these photos of the markets and the food they've been eating in hawker stalls and I just keep thinking... I am such a wuss.
BrokenTune 1 month ago
I am considering doing a "food post", but it would be relatively tame. I merely laughed at the signs for frog, intestines, fish heads, and other delicacies and then went on to point at the veggies. :D
A food post? Absolutely -- yes, please! (Once you're back home, though ... I'm amazed at the time you're taking to hang out with us here while you're traveling as it is!)
BrokenTune 1 month ago
I'm having a poolside rest day today. Too knacked from the long weekend, and... it's been raining hard till mid-afternoon anyway...
Well, enjoy the pool! I hope for you that "rain" at least means a smidgen less humidity, though this being the tropics, I'm only moderately optimistic ...
Murder by Death 1 month ago
Probably made the humidity worse - temps in the 30's probably just caused a lot of steam. Hope the pool was cool and refreshing though! :)