Person Of Interest 11 months ago
Not my cuppa for so many reasons. Thanks for the review.
BrokenTune 11 months ago
Weird, tho, right?
Very, coming from Fraser. So ... unexpected, in every respect!
BrokenTune 11 months ago
And, in a way, it's great because it is so ... unexpected, but I am still asking myself why he went for the plot/character choices he did and what was he thinking? Or was he? And, huh?
I want to read book #2 to see if there was a point he was trying to make or whether this really is supposed to be just a straight-forward action thriller.
Well, I'm definitely intrigued now ...

Btw, he's on Twitter, and for all I've been able to see he's fairly "approachable" and actually does respond to comments / questions about his books. Maybe just very tactfully air the question directly with him?
BrokenTune 11 months ago
Yeah, I follow him on Twitter. I don't want to ask him about the books, tho. Not yet. I think I prefer seeing the book as something removed from the author - as in, yes he's written it, but what I make of it is up to me as a reader... I'll read book # 2 first before I'll contemplate asking him anything. He does sound really approachable on Twitter, tho. :D
Person Of Interest 11 months ago
I haven't followed his career beyond the Poirot screen adaptations (haven't seen or read interviews, etc.), so I have no clue about him personally.

On the face of it, the characters and the plot seem unusual for someone his gender and age to try to pull off. I'd even say it could have opened him up to unfavorable scrutiny by a lot of women readers. It depends on the overall tone of the book and authenticity of the characterizations, I guess. And the level of his experience, empathy and imagination.

Who do you think his target audience was supposed to be? From what I've seen, there's a lot of pressure put on authors these days to be socially conscience and politically correct even in genre fiction. Could be he's just oblivious, like you're wondering.
BrokenTune 11 months ago
@POI: Target audience? I have no idea. Seriously, I have soooo many questions about this book.

The characters and plot are unusual, but - apart from the heavy-handed use of violence & kinda weird romance parts (they just made me laugh) - I really enjoyed the way he wrote the characters and plot. I really like that it is unusual. The more I think about it - and I keep thinking about the darn book! - I may have to add 1/2 or 1 star back on. It's not my usual fare of book, which may have something to do with my dilemma, too.
Another way to describe the book is to compare it to a really bad Bond novel like The Spy Who Loved Me and change-out Bond for the kick-ass lady MC of this book. It is just weird.

@TA: Yeah, I did end up sending a tweet. Will let you know if I get a reply.
Cool -- now I'm even more curious!
Person Of Interest 11 months ago
If it reads like a Bond novel --and a bad one, at that-- then I'd say his target audience is probably male readers of thrillers/action-adventures. I'd also hazard a guess and say that's probably why Fraser made the other choices he did writing the story. So, yeah, just not my cuppa.
BrokenTune 11 months ago
I am not convinced that it is aimed at a male audience. It just didn't read that way to me. There are too many other elements that, imo, don't tie up with that interpretation. In a way, the narrative is very egalitarian ... except for the part that I could not find a single decent male character in the book.

But maybe there is also a question about expectations of what a book for a specific target audience or genre should look like. If nothing else, this book has made me ponder about that much more than many others.
BrokenTune 11 months ago
@TA: Hugh did tweet back. Not very elaborate, but I think I get what he means.
B&W photos of "the post-war street life of North Kensington and Notting Hill," and "the Teddy Boys and Girls" -- hmm. Interesting. Decidedly NOT the same audience as Ian Fleming, in any event!
BrokenTune 11 months ago
Decidedly not the same audience as Fleming. Nope.
Not knowing the book, his answer does seem to explain quite a bit -- except why he thought it was necessary to take violence and sex (and the combination of the two) to the graphic levels you describe. Maybe just because it's a thriller and he concluded it's "what you do" in a thriller? It still seems at odds with his inspiration, though.
BrokenTune 11 months ago
Decidedly odd. It's an odd book. I hope you get around to reading it some day. It would love someone else's view on this.

I've started book #2 last night and am rather liking it so far.
Well, that's encouraging in any event. Fingers crossed!