Hol 3 years ago
Going by posts, a lot of people seem to be reading dark books at the minute.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Maybe it's the time of year?
Hol 3 years ago
Ha! That's what I thought.
I like it precisely because it's Christie with an edge -- absolutely not what cliché has it you should expect from a Golden Age mystery (or what you might expect from Christie's Miss Marple books, given Miss Marple's character, if you've only read one or two of them). In many a Golden Age mystery, the person who turns out to be the murderer here would be one of the good guys, but you can *never* count on anything like that with Christie. To quote another book title of hers, there is "Evil [Everywhere] Under the Sun" -- she really believed that, and she wrote about it time and again.

Btw, I looked up the children's rhyme when I first read this book -- like many of those that Christie uses in her books (e.g., also "Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?") it's in turn an allegory for something rather dark as well; in this instance, an attack by Blackbeard's pirates.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Funny, but the reference to pirates would even make sense in that Rex F. was a bit of a pirate, at least when telling tales of how he cheated his business partners.

I like the dark Christies generally - some of my favourite Christies are the dark ones - but this one just did not do it for me. I still liked it but it was not edgy enough to stand out that much.
Re: Rex F. as a pirate -- yes; there's certainly authorial method behind this, however it's actually played in the book.

Did you ever watch the Joan Hickson screen adaptation? It stars Peter Davison -- of insignificantly more than "All Creatures Great and Small" vintage -- as Lance ... (and Timothy West as Rex, and Tom Wilkinson as the inspector). One of my favorite installments in the series.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
No, I haven't, yet. Not a Joan fan, so haven't been rushing out to watch them other than the odd one here and there.
Well, this one might be worth it -- it's pretty close to the book ... and the cast is fabulous. (You'll be doubly sick of the nursery rhyme at the end, though. :D)
BrokenTune 3 years ago
The cast does sound fab - Tim West! Yay! I'll have a look out for it. :) Thanks for the rec.
You're welcome. :)
Limp biscuits? Why do I suddenly have an urge to take on an impossible mission?
Hehe. :D
BrokenTune 3 years ago
*snort* Perfect soundtrack. Why haven't ITV thought of that?
Maybe you could suggest it?
BrokenTune 3 years ago