Saturdays in Books 1 year ago
My favorite Austen novel. I should really make time to reread it.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
It is such a rewarding read.
They soooooooooooooooooo should teach that last quote in schools - everybody would be an instant Austen fan!
BrokenTune 1 year ago
I know, right?! The woman was a badass. That last quote stopped me in my tracks...and made me look up the etymology of the work...just to confirm if it had a different meaning in Austen's day.
And that meaning was?
BrokenTune 1 year ago
:D Unclear from my limited research.
The meaning of "highly contemptible person" seems to have been around in Austen's day. The second meaning seems to have developed towards the end of the 19th century, but there seems to be little documentation of that. The use as a short form of Richard seems to date from the 1500s.
I love this one even though it is one of her darker and sadder ones. Wentworth's "half agony, half hope" speech, for my money, is better than Darcy's.
It is always fascinating to me when a reread brings out different thoughts/emotions because of age, experience, or whatever.
Happy to see you enjoyed this one even more the second time :)
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Both speeches are perfect for each character - and they quite different characters.

I could not get into this at all when I first read it. I have no idea why, but I guess something must have told me that it was the wrong time/place to read it, because otherwise I might not have re-read it.

Here is hoping that To The Lighthouse works the same way. I read it during the same summer and also gave it 2* back then. Maybe it was a reading slump? No idea.
fromfirstpagetolast 1 year ago
This is my favourite book. I read it three times last year and have already read it once this year. I've lost count of the actual amount of times I've read it. And that letter is the best ever written :-)