Murder by Death 7 months ago
I've just fallen down a rabbit hole of international summer programs at Cambridge and Oxford - that might kill some time before you get sucked into the inevitable.

Or... any True Facts you haven't seen yet? :)

Going anywhere potentially fun?
BrokenTune 7 months ago
Too late. I've caved. Picked up The History of Bees by Maja Lunde.
Off to Germany for a week.
BrokenTune 7 months ago
The summer programs sound fun. I'll need to take a look. :)
Murder by Death 7 months ago
Ooh - have fun in Germany! :)

The History of Bees - fiction or non? Non and I might have to buy it too, which I think we can turn into some sort of extension of the vortex you got sucked into, maybe? :D
BrokenTune 7 months ago
Fiction. You're safe. It has three povs - one of them in the future. Kinda dystopian so far. Very much a first novel, but really good so far. :)
Murder by Death 7 months ago
Whew. Glad to hear it's a good one though. :)
Moonlight Madness 7 months ago
Tell me more about this whole international summer program thingy.
Murder by Death 7 months ago
I saw the ad for the Cambridge program in my NewScientist magazine and it looks like it would be so much fun: 1 or 2 week programs in a couple of dozen different possible subject areas (all but one NOT science related), and you stay in one of the colleges, with meals provided. It sounds very laid back but educational at the same time.

Of course I had to check out Oxford's program to see what they were offering. They have a similar setup, though, imo, not as well organised, called "The Oxford Experience". These are only 1 week courses but the course selections are far more extensive - and far more heavily weighted towards humanities. For example - and I thought of you, Moonlight Reader (and Themis) immediately after I saw these: "200 Years of British Murder" and "Victorian Detective Novels". They also have another summer program called "Oxford University Summer School for Adults" that has a course entitled "Jane Austen: 'Persuasion' and 'Pride and Prejudice'". Oxford also offers accomodation and meals for the duration.

Links:
Cambridge: http://www.ice.cam.ac.uk/courses/international-summer-programmes
Oxford Experience: https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/about/oxford-experience
Oxford Uni. for Adults: https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/about/oussa
Moonlight Madness 7 months ago
The first thing I stumbled on was the 200 years of British Murder course! I want to go so much I can hardly stand it.
Murder by Death 7 months ago
You and me both. If I didn't have to come home in Aug/Sept. I think I'd be selling a kidney to do this. HA! I still might. :p
Serious "down the rabbit hole" material ...
Char's Horror Corner 7 months ago
Well, the damage could have been much worse! Well done! I hope you have a good time on your trip. :)
BrokenTune 6 months ago
Thanks, Char. It could have been much worse. I picked up and set down at least 10 books, and if it had not been for the thought that it would make more sense to pick them up on the way back, we'd be looking at more.
Hol 7 months ago
What Char said. Have a great trip!
BrokenTune 6 months ago
Thank you. :)
I hope "The History of Bees" is (was) worth giving in to the airport book store honey trap!
Murder by Death 6 months ago
HA! I see what you did there... ;-)
BrokenTune 6 months ago
Hehe.

I'm rather enjoying the book, too. The weather has been great yesterday, and there are lots of bees near my current reading spot in the garden. There is also a huge bumblebee that's been cracking me up - it really does bumble about looking like it has no idea where it is going.
Yes, the weather has been glorious (so far) this weekend here, too -- fingers crossed. And what a perfect reading companion for a book with this title!

@MbD: How are the bees in your backyard?
Murder by Death 6 months ago
The Betty's are happy and, I'm told, healthy! They've been busily streaming in and out of the hive all summer and, as we've still had very mild and warm days, there's no sign of them stopping too soon. MT and I both had our first close calls yesterday, when one flew up (or down) his shirt and ended up in his sleeve and another flew into, and got a bit tangled in, my hair. Neither adventure involved any stinging (yay) but it was a good reminder to pay attention.

My biggest worry is Wasabi, who saunters right up to the entry of the beehive and tries to sniff it, the dumbass. I don't fancy trying to pull a stinger out of his nose someday.
Oh, Wasabi ... (groans). I'm glad neither of you has gotten stung yet, though. Are the hives going to remain in your backyard all winter?

At my mom's the other day I caught the tail end (no pun intended) of a TV program about Germany's wild bees ... I had no idea we still had so many different kinds, in addition to the honey bees!
Murder by Death 6 months ago
Yes, they'll stay here; our bee guy will check on them every 3 weeks or so, and I've been trying to find plants that bloom over winter. :)

I love the wild bees - we've seen quite a few new ones since we've gotten the honeybees - a coincidence, of course, because now we're paying closer attention, but they're fun to spot, especially the ones that don't look anything like a honeybee. :)
Person Of Interest 6 months ago
I was wondering how the Bettys were faring. Nice to get an update. Hope your feathered girls are all doing well too. :)

Cautionary tale here. The hubby's best buddy had a misadventure tending his hives this week-end which he dubbed the ultimate bee revenge. I guess some extra pounds have made his protective suit too snug, so he was moving chambers around sans suit and one of the girls went on the defensive while his hands were full and managed to sting his, err, butt crack. OUCH! Sooo... avoid low slung shorts and keep your backsides covered when you're in close proximity to your hive. ;)
Murder by Death 6 months ago
This is not nice of me, but, ROFL... that is truly awful, but the image that popped into my head, omg. I hope he's ok? And the mind stutters to a halt trying to imagine getting the stinger out. o_O Cautionary tale indeed - I've always been a high-waist girl myself, but I've told MT so he knows to watch out. :)
Person Of Interest 6 months ago
It's hard not to laugh, isn't it? I had the same thought about the stinger! He's fine, although sitting was uncomfortable, as you can well imagine. Maybe we should gift him a pair of jazzy 'bee' suspenders. :P
Murder by Death 6 months ago
Oh, definitely! You can get a lot of mileage out of this in holidays to come. :)
Enjoy your stay! I must check as I have the feeling I might have acquired a book with bees on the title not long ago. I love the sound of the summer programs. I've just moved back to Spain so I should check what's avaiable here (once I've had some time to settle) but it could be the perfect excuse to go back at some point in the future...