Unsurprisingly, I‘ve got my eyes on both of these as well! ;)
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Yeah, no surprise there at all. ;)

Btw, I forgot to add one... I also picked up one by Kaminer. Not Russendisko, one that had garden gnomes on the cover. I'll look it up when I get home. I've not read anything by him before. Have you?
No, I haven't either. I'm sort of on the fence about him ...
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Well, the book had a cute cover....how could I resist?
Oh, I see -- cover love in action. Well, I hope the contents lives up to the promise of the packaging!
Murder by Death 4 months ago
Welcome back! :)
Thank you! :)
Now I need a holiday from the holiday. I'm knackered.
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 months ago
Isn't that always the case. My last few going away holidays were always with the extended in-law family and that many people is simply not a holiday for me. My idea of a holiday is to spend time alone by myself... with a bunch of books (of course), not bring along a whole bunch of people that need to be entertained.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Well, my exhaustion stems from walking A LOT around Berlin and trying to visit as many sights as possible in 3 days, then getting up at 3:30am to fly back home.
We had a lot of fun but it was physically very taxing.
Ouch. Berlin -- even individual parts of it -- on foot is nothing for the podiatrically challenged; even less so if you're pressed for time. Speaking from 10 years' worth of experience of having lived there ... (as an adult, that is -- not counting the time of being carted around by my mom as a baby, some 20+ years earlier).
BrokenTune 4 months ago
We had tickets to a show at the Tipi on Thursday night - it took two espressos to keep me awake past 9pm.
Only two? :D (Not surprised, though ... at all.)
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 months ago
I would be interested in your opinion of The Silk Roads. I was going to buy it but various reviews put me off.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
What in the reviews put you off? It won't be long before I start this one because I've been meaning to read it for ages (and it seems right up my street) but I'm intrigued what concerns you came across.
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 months ago
It was a few years ago, but I think I was looking for something specific in terms of a more-or-less unbiased history of the middle-east/near-east and several reviews suggested this wasn't really the case with this book.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Ah, ... that's not good. I was hoping for history of the region between the Black Sea and the other end of Asia that actually focuses on the people and concerns of those regions, not on European interests in the region. However, I guess, that this may not be that book, either.

In any case, I do look forward to reading it. I mean, it has to be better than Peter Hopkirk's The Great Game in terms of bias.

As for an actual account of travels across China and information about the Silk Road's eastern parts, I'd probably still look to Maillart's Forbidden Journey and Peter Fleming's New from Tartary as the best books I have read about that region (even tho both of these travelogues from the 1930s rather than histories of the region).
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 months ago
But then again, there were a whole lot of gushing reviews, so maybe the book isn't that bad? That's why I'm interested in your opinion of it.
Have either of you read Colin Thubron's "The Lost Heart Of Asia" and / or Nicholas Bouvier's "The Way of the World"? Both travelogues, too; Thubron's of a trip to the various former Soviet republics collectively sometimes known as "the Stans" (Usbekistan, etc. -- going all the way to the Chinese border) shortly after the breakup of the old Soviet Union, and Bouvier's of a road trip he took with a photographer / artist friend in the 1950s, from Serbia via Turkey and Iran to Afghanistan. Both very interesting; Bouvier's in particular, I thought (OK, so I also liked his writing better ... :) ).
BrokenTune 4 months ago
I have not read Thubron, but I have read Bouvier. the Bouvier trip was (in my mind) a very similar trip to that of Maillart's (with Schwarzenbach in The Cruel Way and by Maillart alone in some of her other books like Turkestan Solo). I preferred Maillart's account (even tho Bouvier was the better writer).
Hooked on Books 4 months ago
Welcome Back! I hope you had a nice trip! A Talent for Murder sounds intriguing! Can't wait to see what you think about it. Enjoy!
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Thank you. It does sound good, doesn't it? It seems to be book one of a series, tho, so that's not what I expected when I snapped up a copy on the way back home. We'll see. :)
Hooked on Books 4 months ago
Yeah it does. I looked into the series a little more after I posted and I saw it's a pretty new series-Just started last year & there's only 2 books so far. I didn't realize that. I went ahead and got both books. : ) lol
Hol 4 months ago
Glad to have you back. I've missed seeing you. Hope you had a great trip.
Thanks. :)
We had fun and I got to spend quality time with my mum. All good.
Wanda's Book Reviews 4 months ago
Lovely books. I echo what Hol said--its nice to have you back. :)
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Thank you. I missed BL a little, too, but didn't even have the time to check in much other than when waiting for planes.
"A Talent for Murder": Now I'm curious...
BrokenTune 4 months ago
It does sound good, doesn't it?