Murder by Death 2 years ago
Is the island off the coast of Denmark? If so, I've heard interesting things about it...
Off the coast of Finland. There is a Swedish speaking minority on the Southern Finnish coast; Jansson herself was one of them. It's a beautiful area; I have fond memories of my one stay there ... and this book has been on my TBR about as long! :D

Thanks for the reminder, BT, I think this is finally going to have to move up a few rungs ...
Murder by Death 2 years ago
Ok, this does sound lovely, but I think I've got a different book in my head; the book I'm thinking of was definitely off the coast of Denmark, and as I think on it, might have been a memoir. Which just means I now have 2 books I'll likely add to my TBR. :P
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Lol, we just keep adding to your TBR, aren't we? It is merely reciprocating the favour, tho. ;)
When you find out what the Danish book is, can you please let me know?

@TA: Have you read her other books? I also have A Winter Book, but it seems a different set up to this one. (It has a foreword by Ali Smith, tho, so I know exactly why I picked it up...)
No, I haven't -- though her "Winter Book" has been on my TBR just about as long as "The Summer Book" ... and at some point I'm probably also going to get the Moomin books, instead of just tumbling down the YouTube nostalgia hole.
@MbD: Seconded re: the book set on a Danish island.
Hol 2 years ago
This sounds lovely. I'm on the look out for books like this, so I'm definitely adding it.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I would love to know if/how you like it. There is a lot of subtlety in the stories but it is done rather well.
I was entranced by this book. So glad you enjoyed it as well!
BrokenTune 2 years ago
It is such an easy book to overlook, isn't it? It does not shout like a big drama, and it has very little shock value, but it is a book that just invites you into the world of the island.