Yep. And Prunella Scales in the movie.
BrokenTune 1 month ago
Yep. Incidentally, the film lead me to the book. I blame Anthony Hopkins for getting me to read all sorts of stuff in the 90s.
Ditto Emma Thompson ... :D
BrokenTune 1 month ago
Yep. She is to blame, too. :)

Btw, did I see you starting The Blind Assassin?
The Lorelei King audio, yes -- as a proposed double dip with "The Penelopiad."
BrokenTune 1 month ago
What an excellent double dip. I still maintain TBA is one fabulous book. Really loved that one.
So I'm naturally curious what you'll make of it. :D
I've read it -- just using the (abridged) audio as a refresher (the audio is excellent so far in its own right, though; I very much like Lorelei King's reading). But yes, it's a great book!
BrokenTune 1 month ago
Ooh, I see. How is the abridged version?
Pretty good, so far. I'm 2 CDs in (about 2 1/2 hours), and in the book within the book the assassin has just reached the sacrificial girl's bedchamber -- that corresponds to p. 120 of my print edition. Not too much has been cut so far, and for all I can remember nothing vital.

(Sorry for the delayed answer, I was on the point of going to bed last night when you started posting about Howards End ... :D)
BrokenTune 1 month ago
I'm glad to hear the version seems to be a good one. I'm always hesitant about abridged versions as you never really know what they're going to leave out.
Btw, I just saw on Audible that there's an unabridged audio, too (also read by Lorelei King). I may actually end up getting that at some point as well -- for the moment, I'm moving on to Atwood's other works, though.
Hol 1 month ago
I've got the audio version of Passage to India. Is that one good?
BrokenTune 1 month ago
Yes. Bring tissues and a punch bag.
Especially the punch bag.

Which audio do you have?
BrokenTune 1 month ago
Yeah, the punch bag is not optional for this one. EMF was well ahead of his time...again.
Hol 1 month ago
@Themis The audio version is the one narrated by Sam Dastor.
Oh cool, that should work well -- Sam Dastor narrates quite a few books set in India (or in the Raj). And I like his cadencing, too.
Hol 1 month ago
Ha! I'll get that sorted then!