Elentarri's Book Blog 6 months ago
Nice goggles. They will work if they keep the volatile chemicals from the onion away from your nose and eyes.
BrokenTune 6 months ago
But that's the thing - Jopson advocates swimming goggles on the presumption that:
a) everyone is affected, and
b) it is the gas affecting the receptors in the eyes (not the nose) that causes the irritation.

He doesn't even mention whether the effect is contributed by the onion "gases" being registered by the nose (or not).

Btw, the instruction that came with the goggles mentions that wearing contact lenses would help with the effect also (which is nice of them as this is like saying that one might not need the goggles).
Elentarri's Book Blog 6 months ago
Strong smells make my eyes run, so chopping up onions ends up with running eyes and nose for me. And I can't get the onion smell off my hands for days - no matter how much I scrub. :(
My solution to the onion problem was to get the husband to chop the things up since he likes them so much.
BrokenTune 6 months ago
That's an excellent solution.
It's also kind of fascinating that you seem to react to onions so strongly - retaining smell of onions on your hands even. It's not something I have ever noticed myself. But then again, I don't get runny eyes or other irritations from them either. I guess it works similarly to how some people are more tolerant of capsaicin than others. I have strong reactions to what others may consider rather mild chili peppers.
Portable Mistletoe 6 months ago
I can hardly even be in the same room when onions are being chopped. I've tried every one of those tricks that supposedly minimize the effect. None of them work. I'll have to try the swimming goggles!
BrokenTune 6 months ago
Please do and let us know if it worked! :D
Murder by Death 6 months ago
Not long over due at all - I think you're further ahead than I am, although I am taking this on the plane with me tomorrow. It's an almost 4 hour flight (because Australia is far away from even itself) so I suspect I'll be able to catch up (although likely not post an update until Monday).
BrokenTune 6 months ago
I woke up freakishly early this morning so had some reading time. I'm probably going to finish Part 2 tonight and then take a little break for a couple of days or so. It's not one I can read for long stretches of time.
Wanda's Book Reviews 6 months ago
Years ago, I catalogued a bunch of EU Guidelines for produce and I can relate to your "bizarrely fascinating" comment.
BrokenTune 6 months ago
It really does make you wonder who came up with this and which poor soul had to sift through the lists and compile them in a sensible manner. Or at least, as sensible a manner as possible.
Wanda's Book Reviews 6 months ago
There were binders and binders of regulations, complete with photos showing what was acceptable and unacceptable. The amount of effort that went into creating them was amazing.