BrokenTune 1 month ago
LoL. If I had known, it would probably have turned me off buying it. I literally bought this for the striking design and the Ali Smith snippet quote on the cover. What can I say, I was exhausted...
Portable Magic 1 month ago
My library hold list is getting longer.
BrokenTune 1 month ago
Mischief managed. ;D
"So it goes." 1 month ago
Darn you - I was not going to add this b/c of the hype. I'm still going to wait a little longer, just b/c my book club went nuts and added more reading to our monthly selections... They've picked every book on earth, so they'll get to this one I'm sure. Meanwhile I'll put it on the slightly further back burner, but I will read it now that you liked it.
BrokenTune 1 month ago
Luckily, the hype around this one totally passed me by. Otherwise, I would not have picked this up either.
I may have liked this more than I should, but I really like the story of Antigone and all the different issues it brings up - and those are timeless. Sadly.

I thought it was a very well-written book with characters that showed that people have inner conflicts that go beyond trivialities, and that showed that people aren't just one thing or another.
Wanda's Book Reviews 1 month ago
I heard discussion on the radio about this book and put it on my list. Glad to know its a good one!
BrokenTune 1 month ago
I'd really like to know what you make of this one if you read it. Reading it did kinda remind me of Hagseed, but the re-imagination of the original story is much less obvious (apart from the end where it is blatant but still different enough and I thought exceedingly well done).
Wanda's Book Reviews 1 month ago
I think I need to re-read Antigone before I tackle this one.
BrokenTune 1 month ago
I would say, read A. after. I think the similarities stand out more if you look at it from present to past, rather than from past to present.
I loved this, but now I'm intrigued by the comment about Hagseed.
BrokenTune 1 month ago
Oh, Hagseed was a re-telling of The Tempest but the actual Shakespeare play featured in Hagseed, where a theatre director, who was also a re-imagined version of prospero, staged a performance of the play in a prison.
And Antigone is, imo, a bit more timeless, unfortunately. There was one statement, iirc, by Creon that quite matches something Theresa May said not that long ago, so I guess I found the setting of Home Fire just perfect, in a horrible way.
Yes, it works at both levels, (although I had to revisit Antigone and would love to be able to watch a good version of it), as a retelling and as a commentary on the times we live in. (I read it when it was on the longlist for the Booker, but it didn't make it to the shortlist).