Portable Magic 2 weeks ago
Sounds like the editor made no effort to earn his salary.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
None whatsoever. Obviously, they didn't even catch that the title of the book is wrong.
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 weeks ago
This has nothing to do with the Frankopan book, but have you ever read Vanished Kingdoms: The History of Half-Forgotten Europe by Norman Davies? There is another edition of this book with a different title. I suggest reading the first and last chapter, then reading whichever vanished kingdom happens to appeal to you at the time. I don't recommend reading the whole book in one sitting , but the book was interesting.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
No, I can't say I have. I'll see if the library has it. My interest generally is more with modern history, or say post-enlightenment, but there are specific topics that just call out to me.
OMG, that book has been on my radar (without somehow making my TBR) for a minor eternity. Now officially added, thanks for the reminder!
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 weeks ago
Norman Davies has other books as well. There was one about Poland, I think. He also has a History of Europe that is a door stopper that is more useful if you know something instead of nothing about European History. But I liked The History of Half-Forgotten Europe - you can read it in bite sized chunks without worrying about forgetting important points.
Yes, that's part of what appealed to me as well -- in addition to the focus; i.e., not another book describing in linear order just how the history of Europe progressed, who won the wars, etc., but focusing on the left-behinds and taking a look at just *what* was left behind when those kingdoms and societies disappeared. (A tiny bit like looking at extinguished species in biology, in fact ...)

And btw, guess what I discovered when I went to add the book to my TBR? I had already added it at an earlier point after all ... which I guess is really all you need to know about my memory and about the reason why despite keeping close records of my TBR, of the books I own, etc., I keep rebuying multiple copies the same stuff.
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 weeks ago
It doesn't help when books have different titles - one for the UK and one for the USA. Daft idea that.
I hate it when they do this. That being said, in this particular case it actually was on my TBR under the title "Vanished Kingdoms" ... *hangs head*
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 weeks ago
The hazards of an overstuffed TBR pile. ;)
Indeed ...