markk 1 week ago
Thanks for your review. I had been orbiting around this book based on the heaps of praise it received, but it looks like my reading time will be best spent on other titles.
BrokenTune 1 week ago
I'd say so.
And if you find a good history of the Silk Road(s), please let me know. ;)
markk 1 week ago
Well, I'm not familiar with the historiography, but when I was considering taking a class on the subject Frances Wood's book was the book listed as the text for it.

I also know that Valerie Hansen wrote a book about it recently, but from the reviews I've read it may be more fragmentary than you want.

BrokenTune 1 week ago
In an act of frustration (or defiance?) I downloaded Hansen's book already. :) From the first few pages, it looks way more promising than this one. I'll keep any out for the Wood book, too. My library only has two others of Wood's book ("People at Work in China" and "The First Emperor of China").
Thanks for the recs, Mark. I've added both Wood's and Hansen's books to my TBR as well -- where they now reside next to Mark Norell and the American Museum of Natural History's "Traveling the Silk Road: Ancient Pathway to the Modern World" (http://booklikes.com/traveling-the-silk-road-ancient-pathway-to-the-modern-world-mark-norell-den/book,7843994) and Susan Whitfield's "Life Along the Silk Road" (http://booklikes.com/life-along-the-silk-road-susan-whitfield/book,937442) ... both of which seem to have a bit of a different focus (with a particular emphasis on cultural and social history), but judging by the description, are not merely about today's life along the silk road, either, in any event.

BT: Fingers crossed for the Hansen reading experience ...
BrokenTune 1 week ago
Thanks. More titles to investigate. Yay!
Hol 1 week ago
That's a disappointment.
BrokenTune 1 week ago
Yes, it really was.
Especially, because it was recommended to me by a classicist friend.
Hol 1 week ago
Will you be having words with them!?
BrokenTune 1 week ago
Yes! :D
MikeDI 1 week ago
Hi Broken TUne,
Look at it this way, you've saved some of us a lot of time and maybe we'll read something fantastic instead because of your sacrifice. Thanks!
Mike
BrokenTune 1 week ago
A silver lining to every cloud.
I know, it's a public service, really. ;)
a TeMPLe of WoRDS 1 week ago
That's disappointing. This was one on my TBR list.
BrokenTune 1 week ago
All I can say is that a lot of people seem to really like this one. Maybe it just wasn't for me.
MikeDI 1 week ago
And, of course I may change my mind. I'll update tomorrow.
Mike
Thank you! I almost bought this book, but one review said it wasn't what the cover said it was about so I've been humming and haawing about gettiing it. Now it is definately off the list for good!!
BrokenTune 7 days ago
I'm just a bit puzzled by all the rave reviews for this one.
All the author's friends, family and acquintences? Or they are reading a book from a different timeline??? ;)
BrokenTune 6 days ago
All good questions but I just don't know.