Next ...
markk 3 years ago
Thanks for your review. I had been orbiting around this book based on the heaps of praise it received, but it looks like my reading time will be best spent on other titles.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
I'd say so.
And if you find a good history of the Silk Road(s), please let me know. ;)
markk 3 years ago
Well, I'm not familiar with the historiography, but when I was considering taking a class on the subject Frances Wood's book was the book listed as the text for it.

I also know that Valerie Hansen wrote a book about it recently, but from the reviews I've read it may be more fragmentary than you want.

BrokenTune 3 years ago
In an act of frustration (or defiance?) I downloaded Hansen's book already. :) From the first few pages, it looks way more promising than this one. I'll keep an eye out for the Wood book, too. My library only has two others of Wood's books ("People at Work in China" and "The First Emperor of China").
Thanks for the recs, Mark. I've added both Wood's and Hansen's books to my TBR as well -- where they now reside next to Mark Norell and the American Museum of Natural History's "Traveling the Silk Road: Ancient Pathway to the Modern World" (http://booklikes.com/traveling-the-silk-road-ancient-pathway-to-the-modern-world-mark-norell-den/book,7843994) and Susan Whitfield's "Life Along the Silk Road" (http://booklikes.com/life-along-the-silk-road-susan-whitfield/book,937442) ... both of which seem to have a bit of a different focus (with a particular emphasis on cultural and social history), but judging by the description, are not merely about today's life along the silk road, either, in any event.

BT: Fingers crossed for the Hansen reading experience ...
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Thanks. More titles to investigate. Yay!
Hol 3 years ago
That's a disappointment.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Yes, it really was.
Especially, because it was recommended to me by a classicist friend.
Hol 3 years ago
Will you be having words with them!?
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Yes! :D
MikeDI 3 years ago
Hi Broken TUne,
Look at it this way, you've saved some of us a lot of time and maybe we'll read something fantastic instead because of your sacrifice. Thanks!
Mike
BrokenTune 3 years ago
A silver lining to every cloud.
I know, it's a public service, really. ;)
a TeMPLe of WoRDS 3 years ago
That's disappointing. This was one on my TBR list.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
All I can say is that a lot of people seem to really like this one. Maybe it just wasn't for me.
MikeDI 3 years ago
And, of course I may change my mind. I'll update tomorrow.
Mike
Elentarri's Book Blog 3 years ago
Thank you! I almost bought this book, but one review said it wasn't what the cover said it was about so I've been humming and haawing about gettiing it. Now it is definately off the list for good!!
BrokenTune 3 years ago
I'm just a bit puzzled by all the rave reviews for this one.
Elentarri's Book Blog 3 years ago
All the author's friends, family and acquintences? Or they are reading a book from a different timeline??? ;)
BrokenTune 3 years ago
All good questions but I just don't know.