Tigus 4 weeks ago
this has been going on all week, on my Update Feed...
BrokenTune 4 weeks ago
What has? The sudden "oh god, now she's lost her mind" bit?
Tigus 4 weeks ago
something like that. train gets a certain distance (Chapter 14??) and then runs off the track. predictably.
BrokenTune 4 weeks ago
Ch. 14 was still pretty fun and tame, it is Ch. 22 that hit rock-bottom.
Wanda's Book Reviews 4 weeks ago
Love your meme! Hahahahaha!
Murder by Death 3 weeks ago
Is this where they're in the woods?
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
This is where he opens up to her about his plans for world domination and she's all "you're so hot".
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
Yes, the "Devonshire"? (or was is Derbyshire? ... some sort of shire in the Shires) location.
Murder by Death 3 weeks ago
Yeah, that was one 'batting of the eyelashes' away from full on nausea.
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
Overall, I really liked the ridiculousness of this book, tho, because it didn't read like Christie took it (or herself!) serious at all, and that really sets it apart from the other horrible spy-thrillers she wrote.

Ah, if only she had written them as obvious spoofs.
Murder by Death 3 weeks ago
Agreed (on this one, I've been avoiding the others) - this was a lot of fun because it felt like Christie herself was having fun.
Yup. Color me relieved and pleasantly surprised -- there was a moment at approximately halfway point when Dakin explains to Victoria what they think it's all about, and when I seriously feared we were headed off to "Destination Unknown" (or "Passenger to Frankfurt", but this specific complexion of Christie-esque conspiracy theory is the one that gets explored to nauseous depth in "Destination Unknown" ... where Christie, alas, means every single word, too) -- but fortunately, here she never let it take over and spoil the fun. The preposterousness factor is definitely up a notch or three in the second half of the book, but -- like in some of Christie's early spy novels, which I like quite a bit -- evne that doesn't really take the fun out of the whole thing. And I'm blaming most of it on Victoria ... her one batted eyelashes moment notwithstanding!