Murder by Death 4 months ago
Art and music both - once both are out in the world (ie away from their creator), how did he justify them? For the viewer/listener, they just 'are'; we cannot use them, we can only contemplate them.

I sort of get what he's trying for (in the vaguest possible way, like an ink blot), but it feels to me like an attempt results in a sort of anthropomorphising of objects. Sort of. Not really, but I can't figure out how else to say it. Generally, what I took away from Heidegger was that he felt philosophy had to be studied while the studier is 'in' the world, not seperate from it, watching it as though it were a distant object. That's it's only by actively living and interacting in the world that it can be understood from a phenomenological point of view. Doing instead of watching.

BUT, if I'm at all close to the mark, it just makes me dislike him more for making an relatively simple concept as obtuse as it's possible to make it.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Exactly. Unless "to contemplate" them is their purpose, but this would mean that art and music are purely instrumental when, I guess, their whole essence is to exactly not be anything as tangible. Or does he want us to look at them with a new perspective?
I get what you mean with he's trying to anthropomorphising objects, and yes he's is looking to involve the interaction with the rest of the world in his view, but is that so different from say Copernicus observation that the sun does not revolve around us but we revolve around the sun? Surely, the connectedness of things has been known before Heidegger?

For me it is the purpose bit that I struggle with.
"So it goes." 4 months ago
So, forgive my stupidity, but is this something akin to today's mindfulness efforts? ie - doing what you're doing 100%. I'm off to fold laundry, and I will focus purely on being mindful of feeling the clothes in my hands, folding them carefully (or not so carefully, but either way, not wandering off into other stuff in my brain - just focusing on the clothes)? I read some of this stuff ages ago and remember none of it b/c it made very little sense even with the book open in front of me. But some of this sounds related to some of today's shticks.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Why stupidity?

I think "mindfulness" focuses on the doing, the actual act of doing something - or doing nothing as it were - whereas H. seems to see that all doing is a means to an end, which is kinda the opposite of what mindfulness is about. Mindfulness is about singling out things/moments/actions and Heidegger seems to be about connecting them. At least that is what I understood. No idea if I'm anywhere close.
"So it goes." 4 months ago
And why can't the boat just Be - it is what it is. Maybe the boat doesn't want us mucking about with its idea of selfhood. (Sorry - I'm off to fold the laundry.)
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Good question. I don't know. Maybe perhaps then it would not be connected to something else in the world of Mitsein/being-with.
Hol 4 months ago
That bring back memories of my days living in Glasgow for Uni.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Did you indulge in any cone-related fun?
Hol 4 months ago
Ha, unfortunately not! Maybe on my next trip...