Yes! That same passage struck me particularly, too -- for pretty much the same reason ... replace the TM statement with any of a number made by German politicians in recent years ... to the point that "Gutmensch" ("a good / caring human being") has become a widely-accepted insult. It makes me want to pull out my hair pretty much on a daily basis.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Yup. It's bloody infuriating.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Btw, have you read this one?

I'm rather chuffed with it - the writing is good and the movement between the different personalities and ideas is woven neatly into the historical background. I really like it.

It's also quite fun to read a book which feels like one of those "at the right time, in the right place" kind of books.
I've got the audio -- will probably be getting to it sooner rather than later (though how soon exactly depends a bit on my currently somewhat unpredictable RL status). Based on your and MbD's status updates (and MbD's review), I'm looking forward to it.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Sounds like RL has been causing havoc with your reading plans for a few days now. Any sign of it letting off?
Not in the immediate future, alas (I haven't even been able to make summer travel plans yet). Keep your fingers crossed it's at least going to pay off eventually ...
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Ugh. Fingers are firmly crossed, tho.
Thank you! :)
Murder by Death 4 months ago
Mine too! :)
Thank you in turn. Sigh. :~ (... directed at Fate, of course, not anyone present.)
Murder by Death 4 months ago
Husserl ended up being my favorite - Jaspers had potential but there just wasn't as much information on his work, unfortunately.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Yeah, Japsers had about 2 pages of book time so far. :( I hope he'll make another appearance in connection with his post-war correspondence with Arendt.