Murder by Death 4 months ago
I liked Merleau-Ponty's ideas as presented in this book (and the man himself), but Bakewell never truly discusses them so much as she holds them up as a mirror or comparison to someone else's ideas, and that left me with the sense that I didn't really know his work. I think I'd like to know more, although I'm more inclined to try to find some of his shorter articles, at least to start with.

I didn't like Camus at first, when he was part of the rebellion - his early ideas felt dangerously close to fanatical, but then unlike Sartre, I found a new respect for Camus when his work and his views changed (imo evolved), as detailed in The Rebel. His ideas about the constant back and forth of social change feel more realistic, and take into account humanity's dual nature, which it seems idealists wish not to accept. To me, Sartre refused to let go of the idea of the 'perfect world' and Camus, ultimately, accepted the existence of the 'real world'.
Murder by Death 4 months ago
I'm so glad you're enjoying this btw. Have you been listening to the audio? If so, thoughts about the narrator?
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Yes, I have been listening and reading in tandem. I really like the audio. The pace is perfect for me and the narration is expertly done with pauses at all the right places.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
Ah, the weird thing about Camus is that I had read a couple of his books before I ever read any non-fiction about him. Then over the years read another couple of books by him. He comes across as fanatical when described in non-fiction such as this book, but that is not at all the impression I got from reading his books without the filter.
Murder by Death 4 months ago
I think there was a distinct turn around for him, and he softened considerably after WWII. Not too soft of course, but definitely moderate. Again, I think I'd like to read articles he wrote, both early on and later as a way to compare.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
He definitely became more persuasive in his later works. I really love how Bakewell showed the change in all of the characters, even tho she needed to connect the dots skipping over several fragments.
Murder by Death 4 months ago
I'd love to hear Bakewell speak if she ever does; I'd bet she'd put on a riveting lecture.
"So it goes." 4 months ago
OK, watching these updates is making me curiouser and curiouser, and while it was very lovely of you to explain one idea to me, it seems unfair to ask that you teach me every single thing you learn via a comments section, so I'm going to have to find the time and a copy of this, methinks.
Murder by Death 4 months ago
Get a physical and audio version if you can (hopefully your library can help here). The audio is just amazing and I think it helps for the 'thicker' parts of the philosophy (just my opinion though of course).
BrokenTune 4 months ago
I totally second the suggestion of both audio and book in parallel if your library has them.