Mt. Arbieroo TBR has erupted repeatedly in the last month or so and piled up ~20 extra books...
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Wow! Which books have you added?
Here's some of them:

Star Trek 1, James Blish
The Professor, Charlotte Bronte,
Railhead, Philip Reeve,
Six Tragedies, Seneca
Just So Stories, Kipling
Hard to be a God, Strugatsky Brothers
Resurrection, Derek Landy
Frogkisser! Garth Nix
Peter Pan and Other Plays, Barrie

During the eruption the shop assistant remarked on the variety...
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
That looks like a great list of additions. :)
Chris' Fish Place 2 weeks ago
Hi, I brought books and books and added to my tbr. Stupid eruptations.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Haha. I quite like the image of Mt. TBR as a volcano.
It spews books like volcanic bombs!
Familiar Diversions 2 weeks ago
This book addict (and book buying addict) says Good luck! I just got a new book in the mail, something I purchased in a fit of self-pity while trying to get doctor stuff dealt with. It's "Go for it, Nakamura!" by Syundei and will hopefully be adorable fluffy fun.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Consolation books are great comfort. I hope it has helped.
Debbie's Spurts 2 weeks ago
Best laid plans ... it helps me on TBR cleanup to make a lot of wishlists for new books I'll get after TBR progress (to reassure myself that great new find won't be lost) and to exempt some favorite authors/series. There are a few authors/series I know I will just have to have new publications as soon as budget allows. I weirdly enjoy readathons but read less during the flurry of poets/activities. Other activities like some BINGO games work for me yo whittle down TBR; find what works for you.

Vacations are vacations -- no rules; stumble across a great bookstore (or even the airport newsstand)...
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Oh, I've got the wishlists going already, too.

Yeah, I think actually dedicating a month the TBR will work for me. But I hear you on different people preferring different strategies. :)
I started a wish-list; it's got ~450 books on it, now.
Debbie's Spurts 2 weeks ago
I obviously haven't come up with a successful strategy for myself (a gift of a year of Kindle Unlimited has made it even worse for getting new books instead of TBR books). I'm thinking maybe some strategy like cleaning out closets of having to read some number -- 3, 5, 10? -- on TBR in order to buy one new book. Again with same exceptions for the fave author/series and maybe counting three DNFs as a TBR book read.
meeplemaiden 2 weeks ago
I promised myself at the beginning of the year that for every physical book I buy I would get rid of two. Not doing too well on that but I did have a bit of a clean out on Friday and I have put any books that neither hubby nor myself are likely to read again, to one side ready to donate but as they haven't actually left the house yet I can't count them as gone.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
@ Arbie: But at least those 450 aren't cluttering your furniture.

@ Debbie: Does KU work for you? Do you find a lot of titles through it that you want to read?

@ Meeplemaiden: That is a good strategy, tho. In theory.
No, that's the other 1,000+...
LoL. Of course.
Debbie's Spurts 2 weeks ago
Well, I was putting some on a wishlist and waiting until there were a lot on wishlist before starting a free trial. That was taking years. So, probably not a lot I wanted to read -- but I finally posted starting a free trial because some planned-to-read authors were on it and had some internet troubles (KU downloads on kindle's with 3G even when internet is out).

Then a real life friend sent me a free year of Kindle Unlimited. And, I am glad because I have found some really good (or at least entertaining) reads. But, I'm also sampling before borrowing and probably for every KU I borrow I dismiss at least 25 as not even making it through the sample. Well, some of them I cannot even make it past the title or description being error-ridden. I wishlist on a separate list ones that look interesting until I eventually read the sample. Had a good run binging some found series after liking first book -- but, finding so few I haven't remembered or wanted to borrow any past month (to be fair, I've had some work bonuses I used to buy new books I've been wanting).

The price throws me off because I already pay for Amazon prime. I won't read enough KU-only books to justify it. Most KU books can be borrowed one-only per month through Kindle Owner's Lending Library (prime benefit visible only on kindle devices) and many are in prime reads. If I sample and really want the likely 99¢-$5 ebook, I can just buy it cheaper than the monthly subscription fee. If Amazon ever discounts KU better for customers already subscribing to other services, I'll re-evaluate. I do need to remember to toss in a KU read while my subscription is still good.
The Tale of Genji is on my wishlist, btw!
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
@ Arbie: It will take me most of next year to read, I think. It is a huuuuuuge brick of a book.

@ Debbie: That's a lot more use than I would get out of it, and I don't even have the patience to put up with sub-par books if the first paragraphs annoy me already.
Debbie's Spurts 2 weeks ago
@BrokenTune, I hear you. Even a strange title (okay, some of those titles will be against Amazon's new-ish stuffing policies for a reason) or first sentence can put me off. It's good to sporadically discover some new authors to read, but I can ly do wade through the dreck for a week or two before I take a break and run screaming back to my known authors/series,
Lillelara 2 weeks ago
I don´t have a lot of books on my TBR for the Halloween bingo, so my fingers are hovering over the "buy now" button as well. And yet I´m still waiting for a 15-20% gift voucher, but oh, the temptation. I want to own them now, even though I won´t be reading them before September.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
I know what you mean. I don't believe that any of the books I have on my physical shelves, never mind Mt. TBR, will be useful for the Halloween Bingo. So, I'm not sure what to do about this, yet. There are a few on my kindle that will fit, but I am trying not to buy new ones for the game.
Lillelara 2 weeks ago
I hope I can fit one of my remaining Highsmith novels into the bingo. That would be at least one book of my current TBR ;).
I don´t feel too guilty buying books, I haven´t bought any for the last three months ... I haven´t read any books of my TBR those last three months either, but you know what I don´t care.
Other than that, I´m going to check out my library and Overdrive for the bingo.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Highmith is always a good shout for the Bingo...or any other time of the year really. :)

I'm curious what's on your Bingo wishlist, the one you're hovering over the Buy-It-Now button for.
Lillelara 2 weeks ago
I can tell you :D. I hope the squares I´m considering these books for will be on the bingo card.

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (Vampires)
The Case of the Constant Suicides by John Dickson Carr (Locked Room Mystery)
Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt (Witches)
The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone (Creepy crawlies / Spider)
One of Us is Lying by Karen Mc. Manus - I´m intrigued by the Breakfast Club premise of this book.
Ancient Sorceries and other Stories by Algernon Blackwood
Definitely a book by Michael McDowell, don´t know which one yet.
The Shining by Stephen King - it´s time for a reread.
Summer of Night by Dan Simmons
Char's Horror Corner 2 weeks ago
Let the Right One in is excellent! The Hatching is fun, but it's the first of a trilogy and while the others were good, The Hatching was the best of them, IMO.
Summer of Night is an excellent coming of age horror tale!
And Michael McDowell, YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anything by him is good! :)
Lillelara 2 weeks ago
This sounds great. Thanks,Char :).

I have read The Elementals and Gilded Needles by McDowell and both books were excellent. And I have yet to read a bad Dan Simmons book, so I´m looking forward to this one as well.
Char's Horror Corner 2 weeks ago
I'm looking forward to reading HEX myself, I just picked up a used hardcover. Maybe we could do a buddy read of it, if you do decide to read that one.
Lillelara 2 weeks ago
I just ordered Hex, so this is definitely going to be a book for the bingo. And a buddy read sounds good :)
Char's Horror Corner 2 weeks ago
Very cool! Let's talk more when it gets a little closer.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
For McDowell....If I feel brave, I'll read The Amulet, if not I'll go for The Blackwater Saga...which has been sitting in my Audible queue way too long. But at least one McDowell is a must for Halloween Bingo.
meeplemaiden 2 weeks ago
Good luck BT.. I keep trying to impose rules on myself but the more I try to restrict myself the more I want to break out. Even bringing library books home makes me feel restricted, which is really silly. I think I am going to try to finish all my started books and then work on the rest of my tbr.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
It's only for a month, and most of the books that are left on Mt. TBR (the physical one on my shelf) are ones I am excited about. So, I should be able to do this! ;)
Hol 2 weeks ago
Is it still raining there? Over here in Belfast we had a months worth of rain yesterday. It's still pretty damp, but drying up.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Oh, it's still pouring down. I've just come back from meeting a friend for tea and ice cream (again) and am absolutely soaked.

I saw some of the pictures of the flooding over your part of the country earlier today. It looked pretty horrible. I'm glad to read it has stopped raining and is drying up.
meeplemaiden 2 weeks ago
We only had about a day's worth of rain here in the south but I have to say the grass is green again. Not for long though as the temperature is climbing again.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
It's been on and off since, which is great. Still warm, but not as ridiculously dry.
Wanda's Book Reviews 2 weeks ago
Good luck with the TBR slaying! I should probably follow your lead--I've run out of flat surfaces to stack books on and the piles are approaching dangerous heights! But its all in aid of my science fiction & fantasy reading project, honest! :)
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Hehe... The sacrifices we make for bookish projects.