Moonlight Madness 1 week ago
Nice!
BrokenTune 1 week ago
Thanks. It's and excellent card ... some of the categories will be a challenge. :)
Wow! You're all so organized already! It looks beyootiful. :)
BrokenTune 1 week ago
I've had that spreadsheet set up as soon as Moonlight announced that there will be a Halloween Bingo! :D
The real challenge now is to figure out which special guest will look after The Gang and the Weresheep this year. I am still working on that one.
BrokenTune 1 week ago
@Char: Do you have any recs for Modern Masters of Horror? I'm not sure I should have kept that category.
I don't remember the exact guidelines for Modern Masters but some contemporary horror authors I enjoy are:
Hunter Shea, (but he's more of a creature feature guy, and if you don't like gore, he's not for you),
Mary SanGiovanni (I just read BEHIND THE DOOR which comes out 8.28 and it's not too gory.)
Paul Tremblay (HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS or DISAPPEARANCE AT DEVIL'S ROCK)
Charles L. Grant (he died in 06, so not sure if that's modern?) but he's known for "quiet horror" and I would highly recommend THE TEA PARTY)
Robert McCammon (THE LISTENER, BOY'S LIFE, USHER'S PASSING, I have more...)
Michael Rowe (ENTER, NIGHT, OCTOBER, WILD FELL)
I have more!
BrokenTune 6 days ago
Thanks Char.

The Modern Masters of Horror category is "horror published in or after 2000". I'm struggling with this.
I like your recommendation for The Tea Party, but it won't fit here. I'll need to check the other books on your list when I get home, but from what I have seen the Paul Tremblay books look good! :D
BrokenTune 6 days ago
My library has Disappearance at Devil's Rock. That'll be my pick for this then!
Awesome! Disappearance is more of a mystery than anything else, so no gore that I remember. It should be great for you. (I hope!) :)
BrokenTune 6 days ago
I look forward to it!

I'm also adding The Tea Party to my TBR, and I may just have fallen in love with the cover of October. If Rowe is anywhere near as good McDowell, I may need to use his books for a few more squares! :D
Rowe is an accomplished journalist as well as a novelist. October is a novella and the other two are novels. All three are terrific!
It looks like there's another Canadian Michael Rowe, but this is the one to whom I am referring:
BrokenTune 6 days ago
That's the author I looked up, so that fits. The only thing about October....it was published on 31 Oct. 17. I was hoping to use it for New release but the description of the category says "published after 31 Oct 17". LoL. I need to do some re-shuffling. This is why I have a spreadsheet!
"Ways to Die in Glasgow" -- there is no way a book with this title can possibly *not* be a modern noir.

Great list.
BrokenTune 1 week ago
Oh, come on I bought the book for the cover. It has the Duke with his cone on it! :D

Thanks.
It's the sort of title, too, that *should* come with the Duke and his cone on the cover ...
Tigus 1 week ago
um, Stringer’s Ways To Die In Glasgow is recommended in Barry Forshaw’s reading guide called Brit Noir, on page 125, in the Scottish recommendations section. so...yuh.
BrokenTune 1 week ago
LoL. It was either this book for this square or a trip to the library to finally get around to reading Cold Granite...which I am sure I would not enjoy half as much as a Glaswegian setting, which by universal rule must not take itself seriously in any way.
Hol 7 days ago
I'm thinking I might read Ways to Die in Glasgow. It sounds a lot of fun.
BrokenTune 7 days ago
It does, doesn't it? I hope it is as good as it sounds.