I'll be intrigued to learn your opinion on these supernatural tales; I was not aware that ACD wrote any.
BrokenTune 2 months ago
Oh, yes.
If you have a few minutes, I highly recommend this one. ;)

It's not one of the ones in this book, but it's got an unusual twist.
Kaethe 2 months ago
One can see why that one was not previously printed.
Linda Hilton 4 weeks ago
Really?? I have it in a collection that I've owned for well over 45 years.
BrokenTune 4 weeks ago
You do? This is the one that was supposedly only found in the 2000s.
Linda Hilton 4 weeks ago
Hold on a second, let me check. I've had the book since the early 1970s. . . . Maybe I misread the title . . . . . Maybe it's different, but the title in my collection is "The Secret of Goresthorpe Grange." I haven't read it.
BrokenTune 4 weeks ago
He did sometimes rewrite stories. So, if your title is different, this may be one that was published as a different version.
Linda Hilton 4 weeks ago
That would make sense.

I just read the online "new" one, the one recently discovered. If I can get my act together enough tonight, I'll read the "old" one, in my collection, to compare them.

The online one was . . . not very good. ;-)
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 months ago
I'm also interested in your opinion. I haven't read any Doyle exept the Lost World, and was wondering about this collection.
BrokenTune 2 months ago
I liked the two I have read so far. I'll keep updating the post with brief thoughts. The writing is fine. With the mid-to-latter Holmes stories I sometimes get a sense that he really didn't want to write the stories (which he didn't) but that is a bit different here. I'm curious as to whether I'll think these would have been better with a central, recurring character.
Linda Hilton 4 weeks ago
I read The Ring of Thoth years ago but still remember it as being excellent.
BrokenTune 4 weeks ago
Oh, what's not to love about The Ring of Thoth? It was so spooky. A truly classic horror story.
Linda Hilton 4 weeks ago
I have some of these in another collection. Will take another look!
BrokenTune 4 weeks ago
As with all short story collections, some are better than others, but it is great to see his writing skills applied to stories that aren't about Holmes (even if I love his Holmes stories).