This is what one might call historical romance, yes?
BrokenTune 1 month ago
I guess it's romance (I'm really no expert in the genre). Not much historical about it as it played in the 1950s. It was tagged as "romantic suspense".
So setting is contemporary with the writing, then?
BrokenTune 1 month ago
I think so.
BrokenTune 1 month ago
I checked. Yes, the book was written in '56 and the book is definitely set in the early 50s.
So am I wrong that she wrote historical fiction or is it just that she also wrote other stuff?
BrokenTune 1 month ago
I think she did write historical romance but she also wrote murder mysteries in the romance genre. This was my first Stewart.
Lillelara 1 month ago
So this is not one of her best books then. And just so you know, BT: all of Mary Stewarts male love interests are THE MAN. If you know what I mean ;D. You could push all of them of a cliff.

BrokenTune 1 month ago
I know what you mean.
I have to admit I tried to listen to This Rough Magic this morning while sipping my cup of Sunday breakfast tea. I was not in the right frame of mind to go through with it, I liked the simile to The Tempest but found the inferences unbearable. I may need to try that one on another day.
Murder by Death 1 month ago
I'm in the minority on this one so take my thoughts with a grain of salt, but I found This Rough Magic only just bearable. Too much of it got on my nerves including the MC and a good part of the plot. The atmosphere is outstanding though.
Lillelara 1 month ago
That´s how I feel about Nine Coaches Waiting at the moment. I guess I have to be in the right mindset for her books, which I´m not at the moment. Right now I´m annoyed by everything in this novel and there isn´t even the infamous Stewart-atmosphere in this one.
BrokenTune 1 month ago
The atmosphere in Wildfire and in This Rough Magic was the only thing I absolutely loved. Had it not been for the atmosphere and the tie-in with The Tempest, I would have kicked This Rough Magic into touch already. As it was, the descriptions of the "Greek peasants" (I believe one may have had a mono-brow - no idea why this was mentioned) just didn't sit right with me. I called it quits when characters got their panties in a twist over someone possibly being the illegitimate child of another character ... Gah. I get that much of it was influenced by the time of writing but I just was not in the mood to take such trifles seriously in any way.

Give me Christie any day!! At least her books do not regress that much when comparing attitudes in her early books to her mid-/early-late writing period (her later books have issues...there is no denying that, but there may be different reasons from just soaking up the attitudes of the time of writing).
Murder by Death 1 month ago
You DNF'd it? (haven't read my dash yet) ... but you missed the most ludicrous, implausible climax! ;-)

I can only read Mary Stewarts on every other blue moon and when the stars are 'just so', otherwise I get head aches from the eye rolling. But given the right circumstances, they can be fun. Ish.
BrokenTune 1 month ago
I haven't DNF'd it, yet. I have put it aside for the time being. However, I'm half-tempted to finish it and get Stewart out of my system and off of my shelves!