Tigus 3 weeks ago
either The Mysteries of Paris, or The Wandering Jew, both by Eugene Sue, would work, if you are looking for something from the 19th century. anyway, have a great time!
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
Ahem, ... the picture was a clue. ;)
The bells! The bells!
Exactly!! :D
... and Quasimodo!

I hope you're not the only one to go packing but, so will your cold ... in the opposite direction from Paris! Hope you'll have a great time visiting -- and make it into Notre Dame this time around, plus whatever else you're planning to visit.
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
I hope so, too. I've been in before but that is a very long time ago now. And I would like some pictures, if possible, for any review that might follow (not that I have written anything resembling a review recently).
I'll probably just end up going for a wander and exploring, but are there any spots I need to hit in your opinion? My plans so far feature mostly things I didn't do last time: ND, one or more cafes on the left bank, a visit to Pere Lachaise, potentially the Musee Rodin.
I did the tower tour back circa 2002 - probably have some gargoyle pics somewhere. The Musee D'Orsay is top of my list for any future trip that might happen.
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
The Musee D'Orsay is definitely worth a trip. I have been before. I would love to go back at some point but not this weekend. I'd rather go and explore some other places that I haven't been before.
Perfectly understandable!
@BT: That all sounds perfect! If you can't get into Notre Dame, Sainte Chapelle (just a stone's throw away) would be a logical alternative, but you probably know that. (Ditto Shakespeare & Co.)

The Marais (roughly the neighborhood surrounding Place des Vosges) is a nice area to just go walking in -- you can still find traces of the old Jewish quarter, and there's also Musée Picasso and the Musée Carnavalet (=> history of Paris), which is in the hôtel / palais once inhabited by Madame de Sévigné ... some of the rooms have been restored to give an impression what the apartments would have been like in her time.

The last time I went was the first visit when I actually managed to appreciate Montmartre -- Place du Tertre is still not where I'd want to spend any time, but there are a few nice nooks and crannies to the back of Sacré Coeur, and of course the views of Paris from the terrasse in front of S.C. church are fabulous on a clear day. (As anywhere in Montmartre, just be sure to hold on to your valuables, but that's probably preaching to the converted as well.)

If you should find yourself near the Champs Elysées, the Carousel du Louvre, or the rue des Rosiers, you might also consider taking a look at one of the Kusmi Tea flagship stores ...
Excellent recommendations all-round!
I briefly considered Montmartre and then remembered being there on my first visit...which made me dismiss the idea.

The Marais is something I'll add to the list, tho. And you can bet that a bookshop of some sort (even if it might not be Shakespeare & Co.) will feature, too. Is it possible to go cafe hopping in Paris without a book? ;)
The mere thought is sacrilege! :)
Murder by Death 3 weeks ago
I was hyperventilating that you'd not mentioned Shakespeare & Co; it might be cliche and touristy, but I'm dying to go (you're shocked, I know), but TA has beaten me to it. You've been before I'll bet?

Is there still a place (along the Seine? I think?) where there's a book market - or stalls of booksellers, if not an actual market? I always thought I'd enjoy a wander through those too. :)
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
No need to fret. I'm sure that some sort of bookshop or stall along the Seine will feature (they were there the last time I was over).
@MbD: What you mean is Quai des Bouquinistes, I think. And yes, you'd be in paradise there -- there's not only used book sellers, but also vendors of etchings, drawings, photos, and any and all other sorts of visual arts ... many, but not all of them book-related, and many of them vintage ... and / or unique. And, btw, Shakespeare & Co. isn't very far away from there, either!
@BT: I was in two minds even to mention Shakespeare and Co.; I was sure you'd been there before. That said, there's also a few small, individually-owned book stores in the Marais IIRC ... mostly carrying French books, of course. And I also seem to recall one (though decidedly less "atmospheric") in the mall connected with the Carousel du Louve. And if all else fails, of course there's always La Fnac ... though (1) I'm sure that is definitely preaching to the converted now and (2) I very much suspect Fnac would be a sort of last resort to you.
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
Haha. You know me too well.
I remember when Fnac and Virgin (and Borders in the U.S.) were virtually the only stores offering cross-product entertainment shopping (books, CDs, videos / DVDs, electronics, etc.). They were looking so hip, and huge, and unbeatable. Then along came Amazon ...
Murder by Death 3 weeks ago
@TA: Yes! Quai des Bouquinistes, that's it. I've read so much about it and I'm kicking myself that I turned down the option of going to Paris when I was in France, though I'd only have had one day so like as not I'd still have missed out. One of these days, though. And it will be glorious. :D
It will. :)
Down here it's impossible to catch a cold...My wife went to Paris last week and it was raining, it was damp, ... and she caught a cold...she arrived here miserable.
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
Half of the trip will be miserable no matter what the weather, so Sat and Sun will have to make up for it and I am sure that they will be great because I will just make it so. ;D
I'm also well acclimatised to cold and damp weather.
Hope your wife has recovered since.
Ooh, I guess since it is a work trip, have fun isn't quite right, but I've never been to Paris so, have fun :)
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
Thanks. I'm sure I can make it a 50:50 split at least...in favour of fun.
Portable Monsters 3 weeks ago
I wish my job would make me take a trip to Paris. France, I mean. No doubt one of these days they'll send me to Paris, Texas when they get around to building a hospital there.
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
I do feel rather lucky to be able to travel with work. It definitely makes up for some of the crappier aspects.
I've never read The Hunchback of Notre Dame but I have read Les Miserables.
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
I think I have read Hunchback but I'm sure it was an altered edition (abbreviated translation). And I am looking forward to reading the book this time from a different perspective - as an adult and knowing more about Hugo and his style from Les Miserables.
I should get to it myself...
Lillelara 3 weeks ago
Have a nice trip, BT :D
Obi 3 weeks ago
Enjoy your weekend!
Char's Horror Corner 3 weeks ago
Safe travels and I hope you have fun!
Have a great trip. All the suggestions are fabulous. If you like modern art the Pompidou Center might be good too, and I loved the Rodin Museum as well. But nothing beats walking around if the weather is good...
Thanks all. :D

@Olga: Rodin for the win, I think. ;)
Excellent! I hope you enjoy it!
Murder by Death 3 weeks ago
Ooh, that's in his old house, isn't it? If you go, take pictures of the building too please? :)
It's a beautiful museum -- in part, just *because* it uses his whole house and gardens; all very much of a piece.
Yes, it is gorgeous. Not a formal museum but a place where you see where the pieces were created. There was an exhibition about Camille Claudel when I visited and that was fascinating as well (perhaps even more).