isanythingopen 3 years ago
LOL I may have to read this one.
It is DEEPLY disturbing.
isanythingopen 3 years ago
My kind of story then.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
All I can say is if you like terror with a hefty dose of realism, you'll like this. The writing is excellent. And I literally only set the book down to either go to work or got to sleep. Just as well my plans today only included housework and reading.
isanythingopen 3 years ago
Oh, yeah!
Lillelara 3 years ago
Vic is truly a pervert. That scene made me so uncomfortable.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Ironically, this scene is the one that I fond least uncomfortable in the whole book. This scene just made me laugh. The rest of the book creeped me out.
Lillelara 3 years ago
Normally I find amusement too in odd scenes like that. But I think I´m past the point where I can find anything funny in this book. I don´t know why, but this book is getting to me.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
It got to me, too. Even more so than This Sweet Sickness. At the end, I just needed to finish it to know how it ended. And then I needed some chocolate to help with the trauma caused by this story.

Which part are you at now?
Lillelara 3 years ago
Havermal is just about to leave town. At this point I´m hating Vic´s guts. Not that he ever has been a likeable character, but man, I want to see him go down.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
It's Highsmith messing with us again. But yes, I wanted bad things to happen to Vic, too.
isanythingopen 3 years ago
Now I'm torn. I'll put it on the wish list and contemplate.
Lillelara 3 years ago
Have you read anything by Highsmith before? I´m glad that I had a few of her other books under my belt before reading this one. It´s a brilliant novel, but this tour de force into madness really got to me. If this would have been my first novel by Highsmith, I´m not sure if I would have picked up another book by her.

BrokenTune 3 years ago
If this had been my first Highsmith, I'm sure I'd be hiding under a table with a blanket for a couple of days.

I wouldn't recommend this as a first Highsmith either.

If you have read some of her others, you have a better idea of how to approach it. I thought this one was more disturbing than any of the others I've read, but it was also more brilliant than most of them.
isanythingopen 3 years ago
I haven't read any of her other stuff, but I do enjoy horror and intense thrillers. The scarier and more nerve wracking the better. Gory is fine.

I guess I'm wondering what you guys mean by disturbing. If it's all just perverted sexual stuff I'll give a pass just cause I have no interest in that. Read a few, found them mostly just icky.

If It's mental psycho stuff, I'm in like Flynn. (pun intended : ) )

My library does carry some of her books (this one only in audio) so, do you have a suggestion to start with?
BrokenTune 3 years ago
No perverted sexual stuff. My comment on Vic watching the snails mate was more of a joke. I'd pass on books with a focus on that stuff, too. I'm also not keen on gore. There is little to no gore in Highsmith - she turns the dials to 11 for intense psychological thriller, tho. That's her bag. If that's something you love, go wild with Highsmith because many of her main characters are sociopaths or outright psychos. This one excelled in describing a destructive marriage - where both parties were out to bring the other one down.

I'd love for someone to read this and share their thoughts.

Incidentally, Flynn loves Highsmith's books. She wrote a note on this one saying that she loves it and that she couldn't understand how not more people knew about this one.

I still have to read Flynn, but part of my hesitation is that Highsmith (for me) is The Queen of Messed-Up. It's a very high bar to attempt to emulate - which is what I understand Flynn's books to attempt. I still want to read her books at some point, tho.
Lillelara 3 years ago
I like Flynn´s books, but she doesn´t hold a candle to Highsmith. No one does!
BrokenTune 3 years ago
That is really good to know.
isanythingopen 3 years ago
Okay, so I can pretty much just pick one from the library sounds like. I do like the psycho stuff.
Flynn's Gone Girl is the only one I've read, though I have her next one in the TBR. That was totally messed up. If Highsmith is better I'm off to the library!

As for the snail thing, I didn't figure it was THAT type of perverted (although, ya never know). It made me laugh actually because I watched my eldest pull 2 apart when he was little before I could prevent him and before he knew what they were doing. It was the most squinchy moment of my life. A whole body flinch followed by a whole body clench. Ah, memories.
LoL.

Go forth and read Highsmith. I'll be sitting here anxious with recommender angst and await what you make of her books, while at the same time delighted that another reader is giving her books the time of day.

I was not a fan of Strangers on a Train because it was mostly implausible and ... not very good, and I'm not keen on the Ripley sequels.
Haven't read everything by her (yet!) but as you can tell ... I love her books.
isanythingopen 3 years ago
And it came with sound! ick!

I'm looking at The Cry of the Owl and A Game for the Living. After I fill in my squares I'll take a closer look.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
I have a soft spot for The Cry of the Owl.
I haven't read A Game for the Living (yet).
BrokenTune 3 years ago
And I shudder to think of the sound....
Lillelara 3 years ago
@isanythingopen: I hope you will enjoy her books. As you can tell, I´m a Highsmith fan as well.

Backing up on BT´s The Cry of The Owl recommendation. I really enjoyed that one.
I haven´t read A Game for the Living either. Mmh, I see another buddy read in our near future? ;)
I know that my library has A Game for the Living. ;D
Lillelara 3 years ago
And I have it sitting on my shelf :D.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Let me know when and I'll put in my library order (it usually only takes 2 or 3 days to pick up the book). :D

@isanythingopen - What do you think?
Lillelara 3 years ago
Well, I think I need a little bit of time between Deep Water and my next Highsmith read. But I will come back to you.
And I hope you will join us in our buddy read, isanythingopen.
isanythingopen 3 years ago