Darth Pony 3 months ago
Oh dear lord, there's an egg in it. D=
Ani's Book Abyss 3 months ago
Lol. That's what is going through my mind right now as well. I mean, what the what?
BrokenTune 3 months ago
Seriously, everyone is bothered by the egg??
Murder by Death 3 months ago
Well, it's sort of the final insult; you're expecting jello nastiness, but then... wait, what is that? An egg? UGH!
Ani's Book Abyss 3 months ago
Well, what MbD said, but that egg really does just stand out from the rest of the horrendous thing. It's like, oh, I see the infamous jello salad with the peas and carrots veggie mix, which admittedly is a terrible way to jello. But it wasn't so startling until you see the egg. Then we're all quoting DP's comment above. D=
Portable Mistletoe 3 months ago
Yes, the egg is the absolute worst.
Obsidian Blue 3 months ago
That salad is scream inducing.
BrokenTune 3 months ago
Yup. It's an insult to all salads and all food in general.
Oh, I love the story of your grandfather's top hat. No wonder you're holding it in high esteem.
Darth Pony 3 months ago
^^^ This too, but OMG there's an egg in it. D=
BrokenTune 3 months ago
DP, it appears that you're focusing on the egg. The whole thing (egg and all) is rather unsettling.
BrokenTune 3 months ago
@TA: Thanks. I really like that hat and the memory.
Darth Pony 3 months ago
I can only focus on one horror at a time right now.
Murder by Death 3 months ago
WTF with the nasty jello salads! And really, to repeat DP: An egg?!? They felt they needed to up the nastiness inherent in anything called 'jello salad'?
BrokenTune 3 months ago
Well, I guess it qualifies for "weird use of jello" then. But, yeah, I don't know what to say about this, other than this is just wrong.
Murder by Death 3 months ago
I'm so glad my mom screened this stuff from my own childhood by just saying no. :D
Murder by Death 3 months ago
It is a great story about your grandfather - (I'm so curious about the story behind the story, btw; it sounds fascinating).
Portable Mistletoe 3 months ago
Me, too, I want to know the whole story.
Peregrinations 3 months ago
Ok, BT's jello is without a doubt the winner. No need for anyone to waste their time trying to out do this one because it can't be done.
BrokenTune 3 months ago
I'm sorry. I didn't realise this was a contest. I'm no fan of gelatine/jello in any form but this sort of disfigurement of what could otherwise be food was the first I thought of.
You read my mind. When I saw "weird use for Jello" I immediately thought "what, like aspics are not"
BrokenTune 3 months ago
Exactly! I had no idea so many others felt as strongly about this jello-food issue.
Lillelara 3 months ago
Yep, those nasty salads in Aspik are a crime against humanity. To think that food like that was a huge party hit in the 70s. This kind of food is one of the reasons I´m staying away from nostalgia parties.
Oh yeah -- definitely. And I've been around long enough to actually remember the odd 1970s New Year's Eve and May Day party hosted by relatives where this sort of stuff was on offer for real. To this day, anything served in aspic gives me profound shudders.
BrokenTune 3 months ago
Have yous come across the weird slices of picked mushrooms in aspic?? (I'm sure you must have...) What even is the point? They taste of neither mushroom nor ... anything.
Nothing layered in aspic can possibly taste of anything other than ... acidic goo. Poor mushrooms suffering such a fate -- one almost wishes they were able to turn poisonous in self-defense (or revenge, as the case may be).

I was made to take one bite of Sülze when I was little. The upshot was that everybody agreed with me that I should not be made to eat anything involving aspic ever again.
BrokenTune 3 months ago
Oh, god, Suelze. :O I forgot about that particular horror.
Portable Mistletoe 3 months ago
OK now I have to ask. Have any of you actually eaten any of these foods? I'm curious about the actual taste/texture. I've only ever seen pictures of them, and have certainly never tried them. I lived through the 70's but don't remember actually seeing any of them served.
Yes. Unfortunately.

They're still part of the German cuisine - or they were the last time I took an interest in German cuisine. ;)

The meat/mushroom/anything in aspic tends to not taste of much other than salt, a little vinegar, and that gelatinous aftertaste. I'm getting reflux just thinking about it.

I can't remember tasting any flavour of the thing that was ever in the aspic, unless that too had been pickled, in which case that too tasted of vinegar...except that bell pepper still maintained some pickled bell pepper taste.

As for texture, ... gelatinous gloup with harder bits kind of describes it.
Lillelara 3 months ago
I have eaten stuff lilke this a long time ago. I don´t mind the taste so much, but the texture is disgusting. In Germany we also have liverpate where they put gelatinous stuff made out of gravy on top of it. There is a real aspic frenzy going on over here.

Germans are very practical minded when it comes to food leftovers. Take a look at Karins blog (http://karin-kuechentraeume.blogspot.com/2009/11/tellersulze.html), which is called kitchendream. She has a leftover pork tenderloin and instead of putting it on bread or making a ragout out of it (like any normal person would do), she makes the next best thing: a Tellersülze. Beware if you are looking at the picture on the blog: there is an egg in the Tellersülze ;)
Portable Mistletoe 3 months ago
When I clicked the link, it says the page doesn't exist. Maybe she's editing it. I don't object to eggs in general, but something about an egg suspended in jello and surrounded by floating bits of carrots and peas is just... disgusting. I mean, the vegetables floating in jello is bad, but the egg is so unexpected.

I wish I was more practical about leftovers. Reheated vegetables are awful though. There are a few things that reheat well - mostly soups and stews and plain meats - but mostly I just try to stick to recipes that make single or double portions so I waste less, or else just roasted/grilled meats that can be repurposed into multiple recipes.
Lillelara 3 months ago
Oh shoot, I guess only Europeans can get access to her blog. I´m sorry about that.

I´m not good at the use of leftovers, either and I try to make single portions as well. Which is really hard to do. My mother is a genius on reusing food and leftovers. Unfortunately I haven´t gotten that talent from her.
Portable Mistletoe 3 months ago
Mine, too! I've seen her walk into a strange kitchen, spend five minutes looking at what's in the fridge and pantry, then throw together a delicious meal out of whatever's available. I've always been so envious of that kind of talent and imagination.
Lillelara 3 months ago
And you guys are cracking me up about the egg. Lol!
I think it's this flashback to beef roulade or something. It's like, having these two very incompatible foodstuff superimposed... at least for me

Now I can't stop thinking about lime-jelly filled beef. I will have nightmares
Murder by Death 3 months ago
Ugh, now I will too! :p~
Ewww, indeed.
Char's Horror Corner 3 months ago
OMG the egg. YUCK!
Cool story about the hat, though.
BrokenTune 3 months ago
LoL. I'd never have thought that the egg would stir up so much emotion.
Lillelara 3 months ago
Hahaha, me neither! I guess as Germans we are simply used to the sight of it. It would never occur to us that the egg is capable of freaking other people out.
BrokenTune 3 months ago
I bet it's mostly because we haven't shared many pictures of some of the other stuff that German cuisine gets up to. LoL. :D
Lillelara 3 months ago