Lillelara 2 years ago
I think Faith´s spirit has been broken a long time ago and she isn´t able to recover from that. And Penhallow knows this weakness of hers and exploits it even further. She is the prime example of emotional abuse. Maybe she will be the one to snap, picking up the boot brush ;). Penhallow truly is the devil, an absolutely vile creature to boot.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
But this is what I don't get, if she's been broken why does she keep trying to expect Penhallow to suddenly develop any sympathies for anyone or expect him to stop being spiteful?
Lillelara 2 years ago
Without knowing what kind of person she has been as a young girl, it´s difficult to say. My guess is that she is stuck in her ways and all of her exchanges with her husband follow this pattern. She didn´t strike me as an independent, strongwilled person when she was 19 years old and every developement of her character has been thwardet by his cruelty.
Plus, since this whole exchange is about their son, she still hopes that he behaves like a better person. After all, Clay was allowed to go to the university.

I hope that she starts defying him too, though. Maybe at the moment, where Penhallow is kicking the bucket.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Oh, there are so many possibilities of how this novel could develop!
Lillelara 2 years ago
Besides that Penhallow is going to die, I haven´t the faintest clue what is going to happen. I really like this about this book.
Abandoned by user 2 years ago
You have so far to go before Penhallow shuffles off the mortal coil!
Hahaha, they do indeed -- I was long past the limit of what I can take when he finally did.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Please tell me that he doesn't only get bumped off at the end. I really need some action to come into this and soon...and at least one of the family has to come to a sticky end.
Oh, there's bound to be plenty of shenanigans (and action related to those) -- but I can't unfortunately promise that old Penhallow is going to kick the can before all the disastrous pieces are in place -- and they'll be piling up for quite a while yet.