Darth Pedant 3 years ago
Uuuuuggggghhhhh. I'm pretty sure the amount forehead slapping I just did has left a red mark.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
I'm sorry. But I had to share this. There was no way I was going to suffer this alone.
Elentarri's Book Blog 3 years ago
Bad...
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Yup.
Murder by Death 3 years ago
I'd have been done with the book at #1. #4 would have had me yelling at the speakers (for audio), and #s 8 and 10 would have had me wishing I still listened to CDs so I could take them out and stomp on them until they were dust.

My recommendation is to take an Adventure of the Speckled Band, a Scandal in Bohemia, a cup of tea, and it'll all be better in the morning. :)
BrokenTune 3 years ago
I think I was laughing more than being angry and upset at this travesty. I guess, I'm in a place now where I really don't expect much from pastiches, especially Holmes ones.
And normally I don't even try them out now either - and no recommendation will make me. If it hadn't been for the whim of seeing the narration, I would have passed this one by, too.

Am loving your self-care instructions, btw. They sounds like very good advice.
Late to this, but +1 to everything MbD said -- pretty much exactly what I was thinking while reading your review. #1 would have made for an early DNF in and of itself. #4 would have made me want the book at the wall if I had read on against all inclination. On those grounds alone, I don't think I'd even made it to ##7-10. If I had, though ... I would have started to think Evil Thoughts about the author.

Why, Mr. Petherbridge -- why? (And yes, I realize he's "only" the narrator ...)
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Btw, this is the first book in a series.

I guess, we'll all miss out on how this continues. ;)
Ugh. Yes. (And I'd suspected the series thing.) Thanks for taking one for the team ... this is definitely a thing I don't need in mylife.
Murder by Death 3 years ago
Such a shame - that I won't feel at all deprived by what I'm missing. Which is a rather catty thing to say - so sincere apologies to anyone who sees this who might enjoy pastiches; I don't want to dent anyone else's enjoyment. But Holmes is my fictional superhero and messing with what I love about him makes me feel oddly territorial. He's perfect as he is. :D
BrokenTune 3 years ago
He certainly is. :)
A Man With An Agenda 3 years ago
Love the breakdown of this, I'm sorry you had to experience that, but you've helped steer so many others away from it!
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Thank you. I really should have known better...