I definitely prefer the short story as well -- and not only because it features Poirot!
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
What else do you prefer in the short story?
Structure and length -- you're right, this doesn't necessarily lend itself to novel length. And I could have done without that bit of "takes one to know one" / "we know who we are" bit between Anthony and Race at the end ... that's pure Christie spy novel nonsense. Also (and I'm saying this NOT already having known the screen adaptations by the time I read the book), I thought the "who" was fairly obvious from very early on. (ETA: Ditto the motive.)

I liked Anthony, though -- and the Kidderminsters and the Farradays (even in their book version).
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Yeah, the takes one to know one nonsense reminded me of the Christie spy thrillers, too. And not in a good way.
Sigh. Exactly.

It's really amazing with how much nonsense Christie could get away in her spy novels (and mysteries featuring spy elements because Race is one of the characters) -- just goes to show how much people loved (and love) her books!
Moonlight Reader 2 weeks ago
I really liked this one, but your complaints are valid.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
It could have been worse. :)
KaraSkinner 2 weeks ago
I haven't read Sparkling Cyanide, but it's too bad the story didn't work as well as some of Agatha Christie's other novels. I love her work in general, even though I've only read three or four of her books. And Then There Were None is my favorite one. I love the title Sparkling Cyanide, though.
Have you read the short story "Yellow Iris"?
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Sparkling Cyanide is a great title but I second TA's recommendation of reading Yellow Iris, if you haven't come across that one already. :)
I actually thought "Sparkling Cyanide" as a book might work better if you haven't read "Yellow Iris" yet -- but yeah, if you haven't read either and are only looking for one incarnation of the story, "Yellow Iris" is the better choice overall.
KaraSkinner 2 weeks ago

I haven't read Yellow Iris yet. I don't think I've read any of the short stories. I'll be sure to read Yellow Iris, though, since it's the better choice between the two.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
I hope it works for you. :)