Have they moved North yet, at the point where you are? For me, the whole thing took up speed (fairly rapidly) once they had moved. Everything before that is pretty much just setting up the contrast between the two societies and ways of life. I'm not surprised you're finding the "South" part a bit overly placid.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Yup. They are in Milton, we have met Mr. T and his mum, and Margaret has been visiting Bessie.
Give it a little more space -- there are conflicts aplenty to come, and there's nothing Austen-esque about them.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
I have Juliet Stevenson's excellent narration to accompany my paperback copy, so I'm sure I'll keep reading.
Switching to the audio all the way may well be the ticket here.
I remember starting it and getting maybe a quarter of the way through before I lost interest. Not my type of novel at all, I guess; I'm also not also a huge Austen reader, though (the only book of hers I really loved was Persuasion), so it's just my tastes not coinciding with the material.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Ah, that is good to know. I'll keep reading but there seems to be something about this that is not working for me.

(Btw, I love Persuasion.)
Persuasion seems to be so overlooked for some reason (or maybe I just haven't run into enough people reading it). Such a beautiful second chance + coming into one's own story though.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
I think it might be overlooked because people tend to first read Austen at a younger age - late teens for me - when Persuasion lacks the drama and action of the other famous Austen novels. I fell in love with Persuasion on a re-read when I actually took some time to really let the words sink in. It's not as pacey and action-packed, but it works on a very different level for me.
It does have a very different energy, doesn't it? Much slower introspection, and characters who are re-discovering instead of facing love for the first, fresh time.
If I remember right, it took until around 40% before I really got into this one.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Really? Now I am really curious what might have changed at the 40% mark.
Person Of Interest 3 years ago
I also have the Juliet Stevenson audio edition but haven't listened to it yet, so I'll be curious to see if it picks up for you. I hope so.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
At this point (124p), the Stevenson narration (excellent) will see me through a book that otherwise I might not finish. I'm still not enamored with the story or the characters.
Lillelara 3 years ago
Oh no :(. Well, that doesn´t bode well for my own reading plans.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
I will be really curious what you make of this one!
Abandoned by user 3 years ago
I've read two Gaskell books at this point, and both of them were a bit of a difficult entry. I can't remember my turning point, but I do remember it taking a while for me to really get into this book, and the same was true of Mary Barton.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Will it improve if I really don't like any of the characters so far, especially Margaret?
Abandoned by user 3 years ago
I would say yes - I didn't really like Margaret all that much either at the beginning. My favorite characters ended up being John Thornton (and not just because of Richard Armitage, although that mental image certainly didn't hurt), Mrs. Thornton (I loved Mrs. Thornton so much - she is such a badass) and Bessie. I didn't like any of Margaret's family, tbh. Her mother was irritating and her father was an idiot.

Margaret's character arc is fairly successful, IMO, because she makes some very significant personal growth through the progress of the book.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Ah, ... good, because Margaret is really getting on my nerves. And her father IS an idiot.

I've been disappointed by the Thorntons so far, too - especially john's instalove for Margaret and Mrs. T's instahate for her. Hopefully this will change then.