Lillelara 3 years ago
You have already read the Christie autobiography, haven‘t you?

My copy is sitting impatiently on my shelf, waiting for me too finish up my current non-fiction book „The Plantagenets“. It‘s not a had read, but it isn‘t a page turner either. However, as soon as I have finished it I will be reading Christie‘s autobiography.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
I have read it, but it is one of the books I often revert back to for reference. I have the kindle version, but I just had to get this hardback so it can sit prominently on my shelf. :D
Lillelara 3 years ago
Well, I would have bought it as well ;). And it so much easier to look up things in a physical copy. Plus it looks good on ones shelf :D
Look at that pretty picture! :)

Btw, have you read anything by Donoghue before?
BrokenTune 3 years ago
It is pretty, isn't it?

Re Donoghue: Yes, I have and I am not a huge fan. Her books seem to have one of two effects on me: I either really hate them or find them intriguingly interesting without really liking them.
Lol. I'm not a huge fan, either, but I will give her that she tends to pick interesting topics. She just seems to tend to lose her way halfway through, playing them for effect and Message (including clichés and all they stand for) instead of letting her readers make up their own minds.

Which of her books have you read?
BrokenTune 3 years ago
That is exactly what bugs me about her writing. You can see the agenda coming a mile away.

Room - hated it
Kissing the Witch - lot's of extreme man-bashing, hence I didn't care for it due it's lack of balance
Hood - liked it a lot
Three and a Half Deaths - liked it a lot
Slammerkin - DNF'd this almost instantly
I read "Slammerkin" and "Room" -- didn't hate either of them, but I'd have liked them better if she'd played them less for effect.

Have "Life Mask" and "The Sealed Letter" sitting on my (physical) TBR -- and it's good to know about "Hood" and "Three and a Half Deaths". What made those two different to you -- the lack of an obvious agenda?
BrokenTune 3 years ago
You know, I don't remember what I liked a bout Hood that much other than it was very Irish. I'm pretty sure it did have the "agenda issues", too, tho, because I was reminded of Father Ted when reading it.

As for Three and a Half Deaths, this was the one where I thought she experimented with the style and structure of the stories the most and where it actually paid of.
OK, good to know. Thank you!
Murder by Death 3 years ago
A gorgeous copy! Did it have the recordings with it?
BrokenTune 3 years ago
No, the CD is missing. It could be that this is why the book was on sale? However, I have the recordings somewhere already.
Murder by Death 3 years ago