Very good to know -- this is on my TBR as well.

Would the substance used in the murder happen to be one covered in "A is for Arsenic"?
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Yes and no... It's complicated, but I can't say too much about why without spoiling part of the story.
Hmmm. Which of course perfectly achieves the purpose of making me even more intrigued now! :)
BrokenTune 3 years ago
You're welcome. ;)

You know how Murder at the Museum was such a disappointment because it missed out on the atmosphere of the location? This one really worked well in that aspect. And I liked our detectives, too.
Plusses all around then!
Hol 3 years ago
This sounds fantastic.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Well, if a book makes me look forward to reading it slowly and makes me look forward to picking it back up when I get home, then it is a winner in my book.

I enjoyed this just as much as the J. Jefferson Farjeon mysteries, even if the writing is quite different and there is no dark, gothic edge to this book (as there is to Farjeon).
BrokenTune 3 years ago
Thanks. I really look forward to the other books in the series.
Abandoned by user 3 years ago
All righty, then. If both you and Tigus liked it, I have to read it.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
I hope you enjoy it.

I'm still trying to find my way through the absolute flood of Golden Age mysteries that seems to be available for kindle right now. No doubt most will not cause me the same delight as this one, the Farjeon ones, or some of the ones recommended by Martin Edwards, but it is brilliant when there is one like this that seems to strike the right chord.
Abandoned by user 3 years ago
This is really the gift that amazon has given us, for all of the negatives that go along with it. Presses like Dean Street that are publishing some absolutely delightful books that have been so long out of print wouldn't exist in the absence of the ebook revolution. I really wonder if some of books that are coming back into print through publishers like BLCC & even the Penguin Classics decision to reissue all of Simenon would be happening without the evidence from those small presses that there is still interest in backlist older fiction.

Some of them are clunkers, it's true, but publishing generally involves a percentage of clunkers. Being able to fill my ereader with reissues that are priced at between $2 & $6 bucks is just great, though.
BrokenTune 3 years ago
The rest in this series (J.V. Turner) all seem to be priced at £0.99 so if they are just as delightful as this one, this may have been the bargain of the month.

And you're absolutely right - who knows if the major houses would have picked up on the demand if it hadn't been for the small print re-issues.

I'm certainly not complaining. :D