2 years ago
Oh brother.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Luckily, this is the only story so far that has these issues.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I've one story left and none of the stories have managed to eclipse the first one. The Unknown Weapon, the one I'm currently at, seems to be a precursor to Sherlock Holmes - there are some similarities with at least one of the stories, at least in style. But apart from this one, the first one, and the one with all the xenophobia, the others were really inconsequential and ... forgettable. And the xenophobic one was memorable only for all the wrong reasons. I don't think it would have been remembered for the mystery.
Oh, no. :(

And what a depressing thought, too, that pretty much exactly the same xenophobic conspiracy theories have been peddled for at least the past 150 years -- and probably even much longer than that (only replace "Frech" with "Arab" / "Muslim" / "Jewish" / "'other' of the day").
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Exactly. And what I find really annoying with this story is that I want to shake the character (or author) and tell them to stop this nonsense at once because by spreading this rubbish in pulp they are starting a fire that will spoil the lives of generations to come...
I know, having arguments with fictional characters and long-dead authors is surely a form of madness ... but it bugs me. It does so especially in this book because there are some absolutely brilliant observations by the author with respect to women and men&women interacting which make the book rather fascinating.
If I had not had to abandon the last few pages of the current story this morning to go to work (Booo!), I'd have shared another total nugget of delight (no sarcasm) I came across this morning.
I might have to look for your review then? (Sorry, just essentially returning from another headache-inducing "all work and virtually no BL time" day.)

And, yeah. Wouldn't it be nice if people had developed tolerance and a sense of equality in *all* respects simultaneously?!
BrokenTune 2 years ago
I'll try and pen something for this one. I meant to do this last night but got sidetracked by Two Gentlemen in Verona.

Sorry to hear about your headache-inducing day. is there an end in sight to this project?
For the time being, April 29 (but we're all taking a much-needed breather over Easter). Other than that, we're talking Jarndyce vs. Jarndyce. Or have been so far, at least.
BrokenTune 2 years ago
Oh, gawds.... I hope it doesn't turn into anything near J vs. J.
Well, there's a reason why it's known as The Case That Won't Go Away ... (sigh). Then again, I probably shouldn't be complaining too loudly as I'm earning money from it. But every single cent is just about the hardest-earned money I've ever collected.